cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does P2P Blocking Action prevent the Firesheep exploit?

irvswirve30
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know if the P2P action  on a WLC is set to drop, will that prevent Firesheep from going wild?

4 Replies 4

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Drop Causes the controller to discard the packets. it will be great if you could lemme know ur requirements or explain me "will that prevent Firesheep from going wild?" means??

Regards
Surendra

====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks for your reply.

Ok when enabling P2P Blocking action to "Drop", that would prevent users from seeing each other on a public network. Is this correct?

So my question would be then if P2P Blocking action "Drop" prevents users from seeing each other on a public network, will it stop Firesheep from hacking your login info for Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc.

1> yes you are right.. P2P will block the clients to see each other..

2>> Yes it will prevent, but i havnot heard  anything like, telling it will not!!

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Here's a definite answer :

P2P blocking will stop users to send traffic from each other directly. But if you're on a website like Facebook, you're not directly sending traffic to someone in your subnet I believe, you are sending to the Facebook server who sends back to the other client in your subnet so here it wouldn't work.

Moreover, the Firesheep exploit is based on sniffing, which means "listening to the air". The PC running the firesheep exploit doesn't even need to be associated to sniff and capture the session cookies of the other people, so no that won't help either.

However, if you have WPA encryption ... anyone can try to "listen" to traffic but he will only see encrypted data so he will not be able to do anything.

The problem persists still for a public open network.

Hope this helps.

Nicolas

===

Don't hesitate to rate answers that you find useful and mark them as answered when they have been

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card