cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable Export anchor, SSID stops broadcasting

richyvrlimited
Level 1
Level 1

I'm enabling export anchor on a 9800 for a coproprate network. The policy currently is applied to a number of SSID, so I've cloned the policy and enabled the 'Export Anchor' config.

The Foriegn anchor is an AireOS 5520, I've created an idently named SSID with the pofile name the same as the policy name on the 9800.

When I apply this policy to the SSID on the 9800, it stops broadcasting the SSID entirely. I can't see anything in the logs as to why this would occur, have I missed some configuration somewhere?

FWIW we have SSID working fine between the 9800 and 5520 with the 9800 as the foriegn anchor, but this is the 1st SSID in the other direction.

Cheers

15 Replies 15

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check the configuration of the 9800 with the CLI command show tech wireless ; feed the output into 
                                                                                           Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I've tried using that tool a few times. it sits and thinks for 15 or so seconds then just dumps me back to the upload a file page. I never get any outpuit from it.

(Reminder) :            - When using Wireless Config Analyzer
                    use the output of CLI show tech wireless ; not 'simple' show tech  (neither show tech-support)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I was/am running sho tech wireless, but I took a look at the logfile and realised I'd set my ssh client to prepend each line with the date/time which had thrown the anayser off, thank you.

the anaysys reported a few errors i.e. which I would expect

WLAN: WLAN with WPA3 in use with IOS APs. Not supported scenario

but nothing has been has been seen regarding issues with policy configuration.

- Ok , take note of https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#cat-9800_ctrls 
 too , 4th column (check software compatibilities) 

M.

All config matches, but even if it didn't I wouldn't expect that to break the Achor SSID, merely that it wouldn't work from the foriegn controller. That's how it's works on the AireOS controllers?

the 9800 is on 17.9.3 and the 5520 is currenly on 8.10.183.0 so hits the compatability matix no problem.

>...the 9800 is on 17.9.3 and the 5520 is currently on 8.10.183.0 so hits the compatibility matrix no problem.
 As per https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html  on the 5520 go for https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286284738/type/280926587/release/8.10.190.0
             On the 9800 go for 17.9.4a  ; all of this may be difficult to do 'quickly' ; so start with the 5530 first (aireos should be using last/latest advisory)

Check if that makes any difference , 

M.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

By the way, keep-off from using WPA3 if there are IOS-APs as they do not support it so they won't broadcast the SSID.

Yes aware of this, but that's not the cause of my issue.

The SSID is broadcast and works fine, as soon as I switch to the cloned policy with the export mobility option enabled the SSID is no longer broadcast from any AP associated with the 9800.

- Check configuration of the 5520 too , using : WirelessAnalyzer procedure of AireOs
   (check procedure on top of page) ; also feed the output into : Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

No issues highlighted on the 5520, but again I wouldn't expect these to cause an issue?

KrisStewart
Level 1
Level 1

"You must not use the Export Anchor setting, for any policy profile tied to a WLAN profile on a controller with access points. This prevents the SSID to be broadcasted, so this policy must be used exclusively for Anchor functionality."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213912-configure-mobility-anchor-on-catalyst-98.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card