cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EWC Deployment

ShahrulEzwvn
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know the best practice for EWC deployment. Currently having EWC 10x C9120AXI-K. Not very sure for the design whether should go for 10x C9120AXI-K all as EWC or make it 2x C9120AXI-K EWC(HA) and convert 8 C9120AXI-K to lightweight AP. Any advise?

14 Replies 14

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you looking HA, you can deploy 2 AP as HA environment and rest will join controller is good option i casee.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Is there any issue if all 10 APs running as EWC? 

why do you want to do that ?

BB

The 10 APs came with EWC or is it better to run 2 APs as EWC and the rest convert it as lightweight AP? 

>... or is it better to run 2 APs as EWC and the rest convert it as lightweight AP

Yes, if you want to use 2 EWC, use HA-mode and or check this document : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-7/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_7/m_ewc_high_availability.pdf  , if not use one EWC only

M.     

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I don't know what the official best practice recommended option is but agree with @balaji.bandi 
Having them all running EWC probably just increases the complexity of the solution so keep it simple and make sure your 2 EWC APs are in the best/most secure locations least likely to encounter problems then no concern about APs in more risky locations potentially becoming controllers.

Hi thanks, can two ewc use different model? 

i would suggest having the same model for redundancy.

BB

I see ok thanks. Lets say all APs are set, EWC HA and the capwap aps. If one of the EWC down, still require to check the firmware/code to run? 

if all working as expected, if the EWC primary failes, AP will move to Secondary,

Make sure EWC both AP run same code and same models. ( i would refer the document which was posted my first post for reference how you can build HA using EWC)/

BB

Same model is not mandatory but I'd suggest is best practice.
Refer to election process in https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html#EWCHAactiveandstandby

@Rich R - as per my testing if not same model N+1  deployment, we see odd issues around it took from failover take 3min.

Can you also clarify, how about if we use different codes and not supported features ?

BB

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Good to know @balaji.bandi - not tried it myself.
Obviously code versions must match and if features aren't supported they just won't work or if they do (by luck) then you can't rely that they'll keep working.

ShahrulEzwvn
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all. Will test the failover and post the result when get the chance. Cheers. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card