cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I configure WLC 2504 to do HA (N+1) method?

Nashja
Level 1
Level 1

I have WLC 2504 (version 7.6.110.0). I would like to do HA with AIR-CT2504-HA-K9. How can I configure to do HA (N+1)?

I cannot find any document that do HA (N+1) with WLC 2504.

Thank you.

31 Replies 31

Hi,

As per my experiment, this command is mandatory to make 2nd WLC to secondary and then save & also reboot WLC to take effect of this Command.

Here is my post:http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/

Here is the attached pic:

By default its disabled. once you run this command it will enable this feature.

Regards

Is is mandatory to configure the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller on every single access point manually (under the High Availability tab)? When we add the Backup Controller IP Address on the WLC itself, is that information not pushed out to the access points?

Hideyuki Osaki
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Same as 5508. The HA SKU, AIR-CT2504-HA-K9 needs a configuration "config redundancy unit secondary" explicitly if you would like to make the HA SKU work as Backup controller of N+1 solution. (You cannot see it in GUI in 7.4 code but CLI only)

The command "config redundancy unit secondary" is required not only for SSO usage but also for N+1 usage.

Regards,

Hide

tony.le
Level 1
Level 1

Just a question on the licensing component of the HA. 
When I view Licenses on the HA controller, there is a base-ap-count licence that says it's evaluation with a time of 12 weeks & 6 days. What happens when the time expires?

The unit will continue to function in an N+1 fashion. Nothing to worry about as I have many installs in which the time has expired and AP's still join the controller. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott is correct. HA SKU does not use or even check any license at all. Hence it does not matter whether you have active or expired license.

The meaningless Eval license may be able to be deleted in the future by a following enhancement;

CSCum75965    HA-SKU WLCs have no way of deleting eval license

Coming on release 8.0.

Thanks for that confirmation guys!

HI TONY;

The license issues start once an AP associates to the controller,after 90 days it starts sending syslog and SNMP traps regarding the license.

keep in mind was to use the standby as a standby and not have any APs on it regularly.

12 week and 6 days = 90 days.Once APs are connected to HA WLC then you can check  management > Software Activation > License Usuage.

-------------------------

If you have 5508 series WLC then you can use this commands

(Controller-Standby) >show redundancy summary
Redundancy Mode = SSO ENABLED
Local State = STANDBY HOT
Peer State = ACTIVE
Unit = Secondary – HA SKU (Inherited AP License Count = 25)

I hope it helps.

Regards

Remember the below points:

1:The N+1 HA setup provides redundancy for controllers across separate data centers with low cost of deployment.

2:These WLCs are independent of each other and do not share configuration or IP addresses on any of their interfaces. Each WLC needs to be managed separately, can run a different hardware and a different software version, and can be deployed in different data centers across the WAN link.

3:We must configure and manage both WLC separately.

Please go through the below link for configuration guide

Here you go : http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

1:The N+1 HA setup provides redundancy for controllers across separate data centers with low cost of deployment.

2:These WLCs are independent of each other and do not share configuration or IP addresses on any of their interfaces. Each WLC needs to be managed separately, can run a different hardware and a different software version, and can be deployed in different data centers across the WAN link.

Here you go : http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

Hi Guys, I need help to configure 2504 in Active/standby mode. this is what I have done so far.

1:  Have configured the Interfaces on both WLCs

2:  Have Configured the WLANs on both controllers.

now is the issue is when I shutdown the WLC 1 to do the test, All my APs are moving

on the WCL2. But not giving IP address. So now there are not SSIDs.

Kindly help me to find the solution.

Here is my blog about it:

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card