cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many 2500 Wireless Controllers Can I Have

tparrettcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 APs on my network being controlled by a 2500 controller.  I need to add another AP.  Can I add a second 2500 controller for additional APs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PETER MOOREY
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 2504 WLC supports up to 75 APs.  If your current WLC only has 5 licenses you can purchase and install an 'adder' license (Additive Capacity Upgrade License) to increase the capacity of your existing WLC.  

Below is a link to the Cisco 2504 data sheet containing part numbers for adder licenses. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/2500-series-wireless-controllers/data_sheet_c78-645111.html

To add one extra license order either combination below, depending on whether you want e-delivery or paper certificate:

'L-LIC-CT2504-UPG' AND

'L-LIC-CT2504-1A' 1 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (e-Delivery)

OR

'L-LIC-CT2504-UPG' AND

'LIC-CT2504-1A' 1 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (Paper Certificate - U.S. Mail)

Note- the larger the license units the lower the cost, so buying 1x 25 unit license is significantly cheaper than buying 25 x1 unit licenses.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

PETER MOOREY
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 2504 WLC supports up to 75 APs.  If your current WLC only has 5 licenses you can purchase and install an 'adder' license (Additive Capacity Upgrade License) to increase the capacity of your existing WLC.  

Below is a link to the Cisco 2504 data sheet containing part numbers for adder licenses. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/2500-series-wireless-controllers/data_sheet_c78-645111.html

To add one extra license order either combination below, depending on whether you want e-delivery or paper certificate:

'L-LIC-CT2504-UPG' AND

'L-LIC-CT2504-1A' 1 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (e-Delivery)

OR

'L-LIC-CT2504-UPG' AND

'LIC-CT2504-1A' 1 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (Paper Certificate - U.S. Mail)

Note- the larger the license units the lower the cost, so buying 1x 25 unit license is significantly cheaper than buying 25 x1 unit licenses.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

+5 Peter !

I would only add if you go 50+ aps and you are looking to push some bandwidth you may want to consider a 5508 or flex connect your aps. Driving a lot of ap traffic to that little guy could impact low latency applications. 

Not just my 2 cents. But my own personal observation. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin