cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to know we are using 802.11a band?

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi The PC is connected with a AP to access internet. How can we know the PC is using 802.11a band? Some AP is configured to have two ssid, which has a band and b band separately. so we can easily choose a band or b band. Can we choose b or a band if one ssid contains two bands a and b? Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You can find that information using different approaches. If you have access to the WLC then you can go to the Monitor tab and use the filter option. Enter the client´s mac address and you are going to see on which band the client is.

But if you want to verify this using your PC and supposing you are using windows you can use the command  'netsh show wlan interface'. This command will tell you on which channel you are connected  thus allowing you do discovery the band as 802.11b use 1,6 and 11 and 802.11a from channel 32 upward.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

If you decide to disable radio on AP you can go to Wireless, under Access Point and Radios you can pick up one Access Point radios e on the right corner next to Antenna you can see a  blue symbol. By putting the mouse over it, you can go inside and configure the radio.

If you decide to disable a band on the SSID you can do that on the SSID configuration tab. General tab, Radio Policy and choose the band you want.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi,

You can find that information using different approaches. If you have access to the WLC then you can go to the Monitor tab and use the filter option. Enter the client´s mac address and you are going to see on which band the client is.

But if you want to verify this using your PC and supposing you are using windows you can use the command  'netsh show wlan interface'. This command will tell you on which channel you are connected  thus allowing you do discovery the band as 802.11b use 1,6 and 11 and 802.11a from channel 32 upward.

Thank you so much for your fast reply. From WLC 5500 side, can we configure one AP( for example ap 1131) to only use a band or b band for users? 

Sure. You can disable the AP radio or you can configure the SSID to only use one band.

to do that, go to Wireless, then Advanced, is this right location? I could not find it. Can you tell? Thank you

If you decide to disable radio on AP you can go to Wireless, under Access Point and Radios you can pick up one Access Point radios e on the right corner next to Antenna you can see a  blue symbol. By putting the mouse over it, you can go inside and configure the radio.

If you decide to disable a band on the SSID you can do that on the SSID configuration tab. General tab, Radio Policy and choose the band you want.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card