cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set up repeater using aironet 1140?

charadehaha
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I have a Air-AP1141N-A-K9 and I want to set it up as a repeater bridge. I have the web interface up already. I was wondering how to set it up as a repeater for my primary router. I think it only supports 2.4 Ghz

The IP for my primary router is

2.4 Ghz Channel 2

SSID: Wolf

I was able to set up a repeater bridge using a dd-wrt installed router but I can't figure out how to do it with the Cisco AP

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Josh,

I assume you are using a CISCO AP running IOS as a parent.. else Repeater access points running Cisco IOS cannot associate to

parent access points that that do not run IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap19-wgb-standby.html

If you are running a CISCO AP as a parent... then make sure the configurations on the Parent and the Repeater matches exactly except IP ADDRESS and STATION-ROLE..

To set the same as repeater.. here are the steps..

USING CLI - issue the command "station-role repeater" under the Radio interface of the AP.

USING GUI - Click on Network interfaces >> Radio int >> 802.11G >> Settings >> Here you have the option >> Repeater >> Click on it and apply.

lemme know if this answered your question.. Dont forget to mark it as answered if it answered!!

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

Yes Thats right.. the repeater mode will disabel the ethernet interface of the AP.. and the infrastructure ssid id to Designate the SSID as the SSID that other access points and workgroup bridges use to associate to this access point. However This requires CISCO IOS running device at the other end..

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Josh,

I assume you are using a CISCO AP running IOS as a parent.. else Repeater access points running Cisco IOS cannot associate to

parent access points that that do not run IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap19-wgb-standby.html

If you are running a CISCO AP as a parent... then make sure the configurations on the Parent and the Repeater matches exactly except IP ADDRESS and STATION-ROLE..

To set the same as repeater.. here are the steps..

USING CLI - issue the command "station-role repeater" under the Radio interface of the AP.

USING GUI - Click on Network interfaces >> Radio int >> 802.11G >> Settings >> Here you have the option >> Repeater >> Click on it and apply.

lemme know if this answered your question.. Dont forget to mark it as answered if it answered!!

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

I have an apple airport extreme as my primary router. Does this mean I cannot run the Cisco AP as a repeater?

I get these two messages when I select "Repeater

-selecting 'repeater' will disable the ethernet interface. the connection to web management will be terminated, if it is being viewed through that ethernet interface

-Error 'set infrastructure SSID' must be configured in order to set the 'role in radio network'

I don't really know how to use the Global SSID Manager

Yes Thats right.. the repeater mode will disabel the ethernet interface of the AP.. and the infrastructure ssid id to Designate the SSID as the SSID that other access points and workgroup bridges use to associate to this access point. However This requires CISCO IOS running device at the other end..

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Yes thats Right... if you have a non Cisco at the promary end.. then the Cisco AP will not act as a repeater.. since the REPEATER concept is proprietary protocol.. Thats what the IOS configuration guide tells us as well which i have pasted in my previous post..

Inshort.. 1140 is a cisco product, so it has its own protocol to follow for repeater mode..

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card