Views
Helpful
Replies

issues with wireless in routed access layer design

Hisoma Sama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i have routed access layer design as im running L3 to the access and OSPF as IGP ( Core - Distribution - Access )

thw WLC 3504 connected to the Core the the APs 1800 connected to the Access Sw each with different subnets

i could register the APs to WLC using the DHCP option 43 ( i configured this DHCP on one of Distribution layers )

my question where to config the SSID/user DHCP if no extended vlans between the access SW  and core SW?

dose anyone have similar scenario as i have't found any document from cisco regarding this

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
my question where to config the SSID/user DHCP if no extended vlans between the access SW  and core SW?

VLAN SVI required to add where the WLC connected and WLC should be Trunked and allowed the WLAN range VLAN.

AP use Data vlan to join WLC

WLC--Trunk--(CORE Swich) - this swich should have SVI created related to SSID VLAN/WLAN.

Hope this make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the AP’s are in local mode AP will build a capwap tunnel to the controller, so any wireless clients connected will egressing directly from the controller as the client data traffic will be encapsulated with capwap between AP and WLC. In the routed access world this is the preferred method for me as this will reduce complexity. Remember you need L3 reachability between AP management VLAN and WLC AP Manager interface. Then you will create dynamic interface per VLAN in your controller (tag VLAN per said as reqd.) and then corresponding VLAN’s in the upstream switches as well.

Then if your deployment is Flexconnect design will completely change, you will have to manually match each wireless user VLAN created in each closet with the SSID’s. In Flexconnect traffic will be directly dropped to the switch where the AP is connected. 

Hi,

This is your post in the below thread

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/issues-with-wireless-in-routed-access-layer-design/td-p/4437641

If the AP’s are in local mode AP will build a capwap tunnel to the controller, so any wireless clients connected will egressing directly from the controller as the client data traffic will be encapsulated with capwap between AP and WLC. In the routed access world this is the preferred method for me as this will reduce complexity. Remember you need L3 reachability between AP management VLAN and WLC AP Manager interface.

If i have ssid test 10.0.2.0/24 (vlan 2 )

Are you saying to create vlan 2 on the access switch and on core 2 ,
and a vlan interface on the controller 10.0.2.10/24

then there will be stp election ?

Please clarify

Then you will create dynamic interface per VLAN in your controller (tag VLAN per said as reqd.) and then corresponding VLAN’s in the upstream switches as well.

Thanks

Hi Bluesea,

WLC will not participate in STP. In case you are going with local mode AP's As you said you will create the SVI for VLAN2 in Core Switch and then allow it on the trunk connecting to the WLC.

If FLex AP's then you need to worry about VLAN to SSID mapping and Flex profiles etc. this method is not recommedned for routed access networks.

Hi @Arshad Safrulla 

I don't have layer 2 adjacency between core , only layer 3 link . So I can create svi only on one core switch .

So it is better going for flex AP'S ?

Please advise 

local or central switching, 

local config the vlan in access SW connect to AP and make sure that this vlan can reach dhcp server.

central config the vlan in core SW connect to WLC and make sure that this vlan can reach dhcp server.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card