Views
Helpful
Replies

LAG on 5520 WLC in SSO with two different switch

ahmad.syed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need your help in design one Wireless Network. We have 5520 WLC in SSO and its port are connected with two different switch. Please suggest, can we create LAG on WLC and ether channel on two different switch to have port level redundancy. IF yes,please suggest how?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

LAG is recommended for SSO, your design would not have LAG enabled. If you were not to use SSO and use N+1, your wlc would only have one port to the DMZ, so no failover would happen. It seem like you want to use SSO and your management is connected to the core and you are using the RP on the DMZ to make sure you have redundancy for that. This is something you would need to test and it might not be supported by TAC, so that would be a risk on your end. It would seem to be better to have the all the wlc interface on the core and then have a cable connected to the core to the DMZ on an isolated vlan.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

pieterh
VIP
VIP

connection to two different "normal"switches will not form an etherchannel

it needs to be a stack/VSS/VSL  before you can configure a multichassis etherchannel.

Hi 

Thanks for reply

we have two 5520 WLC and both are on different data center. both ports of each WLC are connected with core switch and DMZ switch. Core switch , is in VSS but DMZ switch is not have stack or VSS or VSL. Now, if we create SSO between both WLC and port connected with DMZ switch down, how WLC get to know, my one DMZ port down and now traffic should with standby WLC whose one port is in DMZ and working

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@ahmad.syed wrote:

We have 5520 WLC in SSO and its port are connected with two different switch. Please suggest, can we create LAG on WLC and ether channel on two different switch to have port level redundancy. 

Are the two switches in a "stack" or VSS or not?

Not in Stack or VSS. Below is more description of connectivity. 

we have two 5520 WLC and both are on different data center. both ports of each WLC are connected with core switch and DMZ switch. Core switch , is in VSS but DMZ switch is not have stack or VSS or VSL. Now, if we create SSO between both WLC and port connected with DMZ switch down, how WLC get to know, my one DMZ port down and now traffic should with standby WLC whose one port is in DMZ and working

can you upload a topology, showing exactly how its connected with port details, proferably IP and vlan details as well ?

-hope this helps-

Bottom line is that you should not use SSO if you are not extending the vlans/subnets to each of your DC. If each DC has its own subnets for management, RP, user subnets, etc. then you need to design N+1 and not SSO.
-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing inputs. 

Each DC not have own management or user Subnet . We are creating SSO over vlan by creating L2 vlan on switch port connected with RP port. Same L2 vlan create on switch which is connected with other WLC RP Port present in other DC.

Management Subnet will be same for both DC. Please suggest , how to proceed to create SSO & port level redundancy

Regards

Imteyaz 

It’s simple... since your management vlans are spanned across the DC (same subnet), that is all you need for your RP and user traffic. Just make sure the latency for the RP is met because that is the key and thus why Cisco wants the controllers in the same location if possible.
-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your inputs.

Please suggest, what is the recommended latency for RP ports.

if we create SSO between both WLC through VSS switch and port connected with DMZ switch down, how WLC get to know, my one DMZ port down and now traffic should with standby WLC whose one port is in DMZ and working.

Diagram attached

Here is a guide to read. This will explains SSO and how it is suppose to be deployed. It will also explain how failover happens.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html
-Scott

Hi Scott,

I got the answer for SSO . But as i uploaded network diagram, Port2 connected with DMZ from each DC . Now if Active WLC port2 connected with DMZ switch got down, is switchover happened? 

Note: My management interface is from Port1 which is connected with VSS switch

Regards

Imteyaz 

LAG is recommended for SSO, your design would not have LAG enabled. If you were not to use SSO and use N+1, your wlc would only have one port to the DMZ, so no failover would happen. It seem like you want to use SSO and your management is connected to the core and you are using the RP on the DMZ to make sure you have redundancy for that. This is something you would need to test and it might not be supported by TAC, so that would be a risk on your end. It would seem to be better to have the all the wlc interface on the core and then have a cable connected to the core to the DMZ on an isolated vlan.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card