Views
Helpful
Replies

Learn Client IP Address Flexconnect Setting AirOS

mqontt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

i've read in some documents that if we have clients with Static IP address associated to SSID that is Flexconnect local switching, we should disable the feature "Learn Client IP Address"

What exactly does this setting do ? Cause i cant find much info in the documentation about it

We do have one AAA Override Flexconnect SSID that breakouts clients locally to vlans based upon the certs, but some of the clients are configured with DHCP IPs but some type of clients have static IPs. Am i supposed to have the Learn Client IP Address enabled or disabled in this kind of environment ?

thanks for any info

7 Replies 7

Hi

Disable

FlavioMiranda_0-1686926798595.gif

Note

For the FlexConnect local switching, central authentication deployments, if there is a passive client with a static IP address, it is recommended to disable the Learn Client IP Address feature under the WLAN > Advanced tab.

yea thats what i found, but no mention as what this actually means and how it behaves.

And if im not mistaken this is recommended in config guide for AirOS 7.4, and we're running 8.10.x (and that config guide doesnt even mention this)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_010001101.html

This feature is still valid and we can see it on IOS XE WLC (9800)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-10/config-guide/b_wl_17_10_cg/m_disable-ip-learn-in-flexconnect-mode.html#Information-About-Site-Load-Balancing

This feature is applied to Passive Clients:

"Passive Clients are wireless devices, such as printers and devices configured using a static IP address. Such clients do no transmit any IP information after associating to an AP. That is why, the controller does not learn their IP address unless they perform the DHCP process."

As they do not perform the DHCP, if you keep the feature IP lean enable, the onboard process can stuck on the IP learn state thus causing problem on the client association process.

"No client will ever timeout in the IP_LEARN phase. The controller will keep on waiting to learn their IP address. Note that the idle timeout remains active and will delete the client entry after the timeout period expiry, if the client remains silent all along. "

Hi

I have a WLC 5520 v8.3.150.

My access point is in FlexConnect mode.

My SSID is WPA + Mac Filtering.

Printers were recently added to my network (bixolon ticket printer).

My problem is the following;

When I try to connect my printer by DHCP it takes IP and connects to the network, but when I assign a fixed IP to the printer it fails to connect.

I checked the SSID configuration and I see that I have the "Learn Client IP Address" option enabled. My theory is that this option should be disabled so that my printers with static IP addresses can connect to the network.

Is my theory correct or should I look for some other problem in my network?

Hi @nstr1 

Please open a new thread and I try to help you.

The 8.10 configuration guide mentions about this here, in the FlexConnect chapter:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/flexconnect.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card