cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

License install on WLC 3504

network1215
Level 1
Level 1

Do I have to install license file in 3504 ? if yes, How do I install license file for 10 APs.. We are running in HA pair

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

network1215
Level 1
Level 1

in addition:

We have brand new 3504 going to setup with HA pair.. I am trying to figure out license.. I have deactivated evaluation license and wanted to use permanent license for 10 APs but it still shows active(not in use). What do I have to do ? this is currently not in production, I am setting up via service port at this point.

This is what I did.

1. License count add 12 --> set count and than appears (ap-count(adder)) permanent .  

Please see attached screen shot

View solution in original post

go to software Activation

Click Licenses

under adder License heading 

Choose ADD

Enter your AP count and Click Set Count

Save and reboot the Controller

Your screen capture looks correct
The first line show AP_count Evaluation 12 weeks...... Inactive
2nd line show the 12 APs you added Permanent NO EXPIRY Active,Not in use
Once you add APs to the controller the license will change to Active IN-USE

8 Replies 8

network1215
Level 1
Level 1

in addition:

We have brand new 3504 going to setup with HA pair.. I am trying to figure out license.. I have deactivated evaluation license and wanted to use permanent license for 10 APs but it still shows active(not in use). What do I have to do ? this is currently not in production, I am setting up via service port at this point.

This is what I did.

1. License count add 12 --> set count and than appears (ap-count(adder)) permanent .  

Please see attached screen shot

go to software Activation

Click Licenses

under adder License heading 

Choose ADD

Enter your AP count and Click Set Count

Save and reboot the Controller

Thanks for getting back to me..did you see the attached screen capture, even after reboot it shows inactice? Is this how it is suppose to be ?

Sorry it says active-not in use, i am not sure if it is because no ap has joined the controller yet 

Your screen capture looks correct
The first line show AP_count Evaluation 12 weeks...... Inactive
2nd line show the 12 APs you added Permanent NO EXPIRY Active,Not in use
Once you add APs to the controller the license will change to Active IN-USE

hi all,

i got a WLC 3504 and activated the ap_count license (150). the license type still shows EVALUATION and will expire it 12 weeks+.

my questions are:

1) do i need to reboot the WLC for this to take effect?

2) do i need to manually add a number (say 10) on license count, then click set count?

3) what if i need to add more AP, do I make a change again? seems tedious and process is not automatic/scalable.

Yes you do have to reboot. Typically you add the amount of AP license you purchased. If you continue to add later, yes you would have to reboot, it’s just the process that is required. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

strange enough.. I didn't have to reboot once added AP and it is till working fine. Its been almost about 3-4 months

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card