cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Low data rates with wifi6 clients

sgalloway
Level 1
Level 1

On a specific Floor we have numerous 9120 AP's and 1 x AP in particular is showing 95% of its clients with very low data rates of under 69Mbps.  The AP is automatically setup to adjust its power rating and currently its level is 1/8 ( 23dbm ) which is the strongest..  Adjacent AP's only 10meters away are showing majority of there clients with data rates of 287Mbps ( Wifi 6 / 5ghz / 20Mhz Channel ) 

I have rebooted this AP but still gives the same data rates when clients connect !!

WLC is 9800-40 ( 17.3.7 )

#sh install summary
[ Chassis 1/R0 ] Installed Package(s) Information:
State (St): I - Inactive, U - Activated & Uncommitted,
C - Activated & Committed, D - Deactivated & Uncommitted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type St Filename/Version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMG C 17.03.07.0.8538

Auto abort timer: inactive

All 9120 APs are running IOS version 17.3.7.36

Let me know if you need additional information or configuration about our environment..

Thanks SGClient List with Low Data RatesClient List with Low Data RatesAP configurationAP configuration

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

9120 does not have a 6 Ghz radio.  

Those clients that have a negotiated data rate of 69 Mbps, what are they?  I mean, what are model of the wireless NIC and, if possible, what is the wireless NIC driver?

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have seen similar issues in 17.3.7 where clients hold onto the AP for dear life. But if you do a site survey the coverage is way larger than it should be. 
Suggest upgrade to 17.6 or above as the SDK for the AP radios was updated then.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@sgalloway
Please note. 1700/2700/3700 series not supported on 17.9.6 - but supported on the 17.9.4 - release.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Thanks Haydn will investigate an upgrade...

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Have you tried to update the wireless adapter drivers on the clients? There are well-known issues about low data rates with multiple manufacturers that are solved wth latest versions.

I am actually seeing certain clients when roaming to another AP of the same model ( 9120 ) that there Data rate increases to 287Mbps so l think it more to do with that AP in question..  

Where is this site, FNQ?

Australia

@sgalloway wrote:
Australia

I know.  FNQ = Far North QLD

Ha Ha.  I was going to Put Far North Queensland but wasn't sure if FNQ referred to something else..  Actually we are in Melbourne..

Upgrade to 17.9.4a.

Actually I think 17.9.4 + SMUs and APSPs is the better option because 4a doesn't have any of those additional fixes and it will be some time before they are released, if at all.

Gaurav  Kansal
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sgalloway,

You can do club channal on 5 Ghz to 80 Mhz. This will defiantly increase your speed. Do try this and see the result. Please share your outcome if you plan this activity on your access point.

Good Luck

HI Gaurav..  We recently did a site survey and from this we reconfigured our WLC from 80mhz back down to 20Mhz for 5Ghz as we were seeing high utilization and interference..  Going to 20Mhz gives us more channels for our 5Ghz clients and around 280Mbps for our clients is acceptable..  But for only this one AP which is showing low data rates of 69mbps or lower ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card