cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration of Cisco 2800 Access Points to Cisco C9800-L controller - required licenses

qualxarnu
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I'm trying to figure out what licenses are needed to register Cisco AP2802I access points to Catalyst 9800-L Wireless LAN controller. Currently they are registered to 3504 WLC and I would like to migrate them to new pair of 9800-L WLCs
I've read that I will need a DNA license for every Access Points, but I'm not sure if such license is bought in a package for example and installed on WLC like it usually was. Or by statement "for every Access Point" I should understand that there is a DNA license for AP2802I and I should buy as many licenses as APs I have and upload the license to AP?
Can someone clarify this for me?
I tried to search help via chat with someone from sales department but I only get the information which I can read from data sheet  or link to FaQ

P.S.
Does Network Essencials license is enough to make a Active/standby cluster of two 9800s ?

1 Reply 1

Rich R
VIP
VIP
Yes you need a DNA license for each AP. It's done via SMART licensing - when you purchase the licenses they're added to your SMART account. When the AP joins the WLC (which has been joined to SMART license server in advance) the license is consumed and deducted from available licenses in your SMART account.
I can't find any detailed docs right now on supported feature difference between DNA essentials and advantage - best to ask your Cisco account manager or SE and share the answer here.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card