Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility express getting access points as capwap

adeebtaqui
Level 4
Level 4

Greetings 

Kindly advise why my mobility express controller AP 2802 is getting other mobility express AP 1815 and 1542 as CAPWAP and not ME eventhough all APs are ME capable.

Will above CAPWAP work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adeebtaqui
Level 4
Level 4

The issue was resolved after upgrading all access points to latest software using GUI. All earlier join fluctuations and wlan application were resolved.

After upgrading all APs to cisco recommended latest software, all APs have joined as ME capable ones with full sync

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Yes it will work. Keep max two APs as ME capable (in worst case failover)and rest should be in CAPWAP mode.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

All the WAP 1815 and 1542 that I ordered were with Mobility express but when I try adding them to 2802 WAP Mobility Express then they are coming on controller as CAPWAP instead of ME capable.

What maybe the issue? Should not all WAP join as ME capable? 

if all the devices come as ME you need to convert them to CAPWAP as below :

#ap-type capwap AP is the Master AP, system will need a reboot when ap type is changed to CAPWAP . Do you want to proceed? (y/N) y
now it will reboot and will be CAPWAP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide_chapter_01100.html#task_CD04E8319602439D973B7D7ACE23111D

Also, connect to the AP console and post complete boot logs here to understand.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is ok. If all APs are connected as capwap then it is ok.

One AP acts as the primary WLC and later you can convert another AP (after joining the WLC) into a ME capable AP and configure it as the preferred master so that you will have full redundancy.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi Sandeep,

I am also trying to test this setup. I have configured ME and now capwap APs wont turn to ME capable. I am trying this from GUI(controlled ME AP) and getting an error message that reads: 

No APs are selected. Select one or more APs for conversion.

As for the version, it is 8.5.182.0 on all 3 APs i have in my setup but the backup boot image for capwap APs is different.

is that what could be the trouble here? 

please let me know and your assistance is appreciated.

adeebtaqui
Level 4
Level 4

The issue was resolved after upgrading all access points to latest software using GUI. All earlier join fluctuations and wlan application were resolved.

After upgrading all APs to cisco recommended latest software, all APs have joined as ME capable ones with full sync

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: