Views
Helpful
Replies

No license in use

Psmurali89
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

I got few asr routers which are in same IOS, all of them are registered for smart license and receiving license except 2 routers where they are registered with smart license manager but there is no license. In license usage it says: no license in use. The issue is only on this 2 routers. I got enough license in the manager. 

Any ideas on whats the issue could be? 

8 Replies 8

Hi @Psmurali89 

How the routers communicate with the license manger? Using internet or do you have a local server? 

Can you share the show running-config from the router that is not working?

Hi @Flavio Miranda 

There is no remote access to this device so am unable to get the config now. 

The licensing manager is on-prem. The router can communicate to the server as I see its been registered with smart license. I done the same for other few routers which is on same IOS and all seems fine except this 2. 

Let me know what particular part of config you would like to see, i can get that when on site. 

A few interesting command you can run on the routers to check

show license tech support

show call-home profile all
show license status
show license all
show ip http server session-module

But the problem can or can not be on the router side.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Hi, 

All routers are on 16.9.7. Only 2 routers seems to have this issue. 

Personally I think smart licensing was a complete mess until 17.6.4 so I'd first recommend upgrade to at least 17.6.5.

Regardless of that though, assuming you have got it working ok then are you using any features that need additional licenses on those routers?  If not then that's why they're not in use.  The base license is now included by default with IOS and doesn't require any specific smart license.  As you configure features which require licenses they will then be requested on-demand.

Yes, the router needs a license for example for 10G port. the port is active and UP. 

How do i request for on-demand? may be i should try this and see if that works? 

Then it sounds like something has gone wrong with the licensing.

Try re-registering the box.  If that doesn't work you could try:
license smart sync all
If all else fails you can start over with the nuclear option:
license smart factory reset
But might be better to open a TAC case first.

Personally I'd recommend an IOS upgrade too because SL had no end of problems before 17.6.4 for me.  Since then it's been fairly reliable from my experience.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card