Views
Helpful
Replies

"show dot11 antenna-alignment" display bug in 12.4(25d)JA1 for AP1262N

dbfokusde
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have a couple of AP1262N-E-K9 access point with firmware version 12.4(25d)JA1 operating in autonmous mode.

I attempted to measure the signal quality between the APs by setting one device to repeater mode while all others are in root mode. Then, I execute the following command:

dot11 Dot11Radio 0 antenna-alignment

Being connected via console cable the following output appears:

AP#dot11 dot11Radio 0 antenna-alignment

Type escape sequence "Control ^" to abort.

Response from 64d8.1486.f000  Signal -24 dBm

[...]

Response from 64d8.1486.f000  Signal -25 dBm

*Mar  1 05:13:59.953: %DOT11-4-UPLINK_ESTABLISHED: Interface Dot11Radio0, Associated To AP AP03 64d8.1486.f000 [None WPAv2 PSK]

However, when being connected via SSH:

AP#dot11 dot11Radio 0 antenna-alignment timeout 2

Type escape sequence "Control ^" to abort.

Type escape sequence "Control ^" to abort. Timeout in 1 seconds.

Obviously, there are no measurements displayed during the scan.

Thus, we have to use the "show antenna-alignment" command afterwards to get the measured signal strength values:

AP00#sh dot11 antenna-alignment

Response from 64d8.1486.f000  Signal 25 % 0   dBm

[...]

Response from 64d8.1486.f000  Signal 22 % 0   dBm

There are two problems:

1. The output of "show dot11 antenna-alignment" is incorrect, the % value represents the signal strength in dBm without the - (minus). E.g. "-25 dBm" is displayed as "Signal 25% 0 dBm".

Now, I know that is only a display error but still this is not clean. Is this a known issue?

2. Why are the measured signal strength values not displayed on the SSH console during the antenna-alignment test?

Is it obligatory to use the console to see these values? Or is it also a known bug which might be fixed in later firmware versions?

Thank you for your support.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well usually this command is used for the actual bridges and when you are on the roof trying to align its usually from the console. So should the output vary between a console and an ssh session, no... You are in the CLI either way.

Your better off opening up a TAC case on this since it looks like a cosmetic bug.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well usually this command is used for the actual bridges and when you are on the roof trying to align its usually from the console. So should the output vary between a console and an ssh session, no... You are in the CLI either way.

Your better off opening up a TAC case on this since it looks like a cosmetic bug.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for the reply. I assume Cisco intended to only use the antenna-alignment command once in the setup phase and not periodically via remote ssh sessions. Still, that's what I am trying to achieve.

I have some new insights:

Problem 1) is only a cosmetic problem. The command is not suitable for my goal as it only outputs 10 lines anyways.

Regarding problem 2): The log messages related to the antenna-alignment output are of log level 7 (debug). By default, the log level for remote console sessions is set to 6 (informational) so these messages are not shown.

Now, I have applied a workaround: After executing the antenna-alignment scan via ssh, the local logging buffer can be dumped using the command "show logging". Hence, the results of the scan can be extracted remotely through ssh.

It is however necessary to clear the log buffer (clear logging) which might be a inconvenient if a problem occurs and no log entries are present for debugging. Thus, setting up an external syslog server where the logs are sent to is recommended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card