Helpful
Replies

Replacement test controller

CiaranB
Level 1
Level 1

Current setup: 

2 x WLC8540 in HA SSO, s/w 8.5.140.0  

2 x WLC 8510 in HA SSO, s/w 8.5.140.0 (test infrastructure) 

2,400+ APs with a mix of 1700s, 2700s, 2800s, 1815s 

Software maintenance support for version 8.5 release ends on December 30, 2021.  We would like to upgrade our production controllers (WLC8540s) and all our APs, this summer, to the Cisco suggested version 8.10.142.0 (all APs appear to support the software).

Before upgrading our WLC and APs, we generally upgrade our test controller and a cross section of APs and test a number of wireless services and client types. However, our WLC8510 test controllers only supports up to version 8.5. The only controllers that support version 8.10 are 35045520 and 8540 

We are considering purchasing a smaller controller, such as the 3504, for the purposes of testing the new software with our WLC, APS and clients. 

Does anyone see any potential problems doing this? Any limitations using the smaller controllers for testing?  

All suggestions and opinions welcome. 

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I guess the main differences are the ones mentioned here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn810mr5.html#key-features-not-supported-wlcs

So if you use any of those key features, you could not test them on the other controller, but reading this list, you shouldn't be impacted at all. There will be tiny other differences, but nothing that should have a large impact.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That should be a reasonable approach, but I will check the price of the single controller of 8540 - so it matches your production environment.

anyway, the kit going to the end of life, personally don't like to invest in HA, you only looking for compatible AP support and testing the code. so check single 8540 refurbished or used one for testing, once you happy to apply the same theory on Live production one, 

make sense?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for getting back to me. Obviously a test 8540 would be the preferred option but buying an 8540, refurb'd or otherwise, presents it's own problems for us. That's why I was curious to see if there was any obvious  issues using the smaller entry level 3504.

I'm doing the same. Primary are two 5520, test setup is a 3504. In this case, both models are the same hardware generation. I think the 8540 is actually an older generation than the 3504, not sure how identical the software is. But nearly all features should be the same on both models. 

I guess the main differences are the ones mentioned here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn810mr5.html#key-features-not-supported-wlcs

So if you use any of those key features, you could not test them on the other controller, but reading this list, you shouldn't be impacted at all. There will be tiny other differences, but nothing that should have a large impact.

I'd say Balaji's advice is best.

I haven't worked with 3504 but I believe it's different hardware to 5520/8540.

5520 is built on C220M4 UCS server and 8540 is built on C240M4 UCS server so they're fundamentally very similar.

I guess the closer to the actually live environment you can get it, the better. The 3504 would allow us to upgrade a cross section of the APs to the new software and test some of our wireless services, but the 5520, being more similar hardware to the 8540, would be preferable overall.

Thanks everyone for your input.

CiaranB
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for you help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card