Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset to factory default doesn't work on 1142 AP

Adrian Mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We have an AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9  deployed in a H-REAP setup.

This AP already got the configuration from the WLC when it was deployed at a remote site.

Now we moved it to another site, but it doesn't appear in the WCS and i don't see any CAPWAP debug messages on the WLC.

The routing work fine between the AP and the WLC, the AP also gets an IP address from DHCP and also received Option 43 information.

Now my guess was that the AP doesn't associate with the WLC because it has the old config file and it runs in local mode(without trying to connect to the WLC).

We want to reset to factory defaults because we want to delete the configuration and force the AP to get a new config from the WCS.

I don't know the enable password so i had to use other methods for reseting to factory defaults.

I tried to use the information from here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap22-trouble.html#wp1058433

I used the "MODE button":

I get the following message from the console:

"button pressed for 5 seconds

process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1

"
But after the reboot the config is not reset, because the AP still has the same hostname and i also get error messages when the AP reads the configuration:
ip ssh version 2
    ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
transport input ssh
                 ^
aaa new-model
^
Next thing i tried was to use the CLI and to delete the config files from the boot loader mode.
But in this case, after reaching the "ap:" prompt and entering the "dir flash:" command, i don't see the file name "config.text".
This file should hold the config and it should be renamed, but how can i rename it if it's not there ?
Can someone tell me a working procedure on how to reset the AP to factory defaults?
You can see attached a log from Putty, after i used the MODE button to delete the config.
Thanks in advance,
Adrian
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did you ever get an answer for this?  Regardless, I believe what you're looking for is

ap: delete flash:private-multiple-fs

Are you sure you want to delete "flash:private-multiple-fs" (y/n)?y
File "flash:private-multiple-fs" deleted

That is the actual private config file.  Without it, the AP should boot up with factory defaults.

-Rob

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I request you to hold the mode button for 10 seconds and at the time the device comes up, issue the command  clear lwapp private-config

if you want to prime this AP to a controller then..

AP#lwapp/capwap ap ip address  

AP#lwapp/capwap ap ip default-gateway

AP#lwapp/capwap ap controller ip address

Regards
Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

clear capwap private-config 

Regards
Surendra BG

I would try that, problem is that i don't have the enable password on the AP.

Do i get into the enable mode directly if i keep the button pressed for 10 seconds?

No issues... nothing will hapen if we keep on holding the mode button for 10 seconds.. and make sure not more than that.. it may go toi rommon.

>> We need to issue the command "clear capwap privat-config" then the telnet, enable password will be Cisco... username will be cisco.

Regards
Surendra BG

Is there any way to clear the Lwapp config from ROMMON?

I tried yesterday to use the "Cisco" as the enable password, but it didn't work.

I will try also today, and i will capture the complete logs from Putty.

I tried that reset procedure, with the MODE button pressed for 10 seconds, but it doesn't work.

The enable password is not reset, i tried "Cisco" but it doesn't work.

I receive the following message after releasing the button:

button pressed for 9 seconds

Then after the AP boots, i try to enter into enable mode, but the "Cisco" password doesn't work.

Password:

Password:

% Bad secrets

How can this AP be reset to factory defaults from ROMMON?
I can reach the "ap: " prompt, but what do i need to do there?

try reboting the AP again and lets see if we could get the AP out from the AP: mode (Rommon mode).

If we are not able to then we need t ofollow the below steps..

Using the CLI

Follow the steps below to reload the access point image using the CLI. When the access point begins to boot, you interrupt the boot process and use boot loader commands to load an image from a TFTP server to replace the image in the access point.

Note Your access point configuration is not changed when using the CLI to reload the image file.

Step 1 Open the CLI using a Telnet session or a connection to the access point console port.

Step 2 Reboot the access point by removing power and reapplying power.

Step 3 Let the access point boot until it begins to inflate the image. When you see these lines on the CLI, press Esc:

Loading "flash:/c1100-k9w8-mx.v122_13_ja.20031010/c350-k9w7-mx.v122_13_ja.20031010"
...###########################################################################
################################################################################
################################################################################
####################

Step 4 When the ap: command prompt appears, enter the set command to assign an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to the access point.

Note You must use upper-case characters when you enter the IP-ADDR, NETMASK, and DEFAULT_ROUTER options with the set command.

Your entries might look like this example:

ap: set IP_ADDR 192.168.133.160

ap: set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.133.1

Step 5 Enter the tftp_init command to prepare the access point for TFTP.

ap: tftp_init

Step 6 Enter the tar command to load and inflate the new image from your TFTP server. The command must include this information:

•the -xtract option, which inflates the image when it is loaded

•the IP address of your TFTP server

•the directory on the TFTP server that contains the image

•the name of the image

•the destination for the image (the access point Flash)

Your entry might look like this example:

ap: tar -xtract tftp://192.168.130.222/images/c1100-k9w8-tar.122-13.JA1 flash:

Step 7 When the display becomes full the CLI pauses and displays --MORE--. Press the spacebar to continue.

extracting info (229 bytes)

If you do not press the spacebar to continue, the process eventually times out and the access point stops inflating the image.

Step 8 Enter the set BOOT command to designate the new image as the image that the access point uses when it reboots. The access point creates a directory for the image that has the same name as the image, and you must include the directory in the command. Your entry might look like this example:

ap: set BOOT flash:/c1100-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1

Step 9 Enter the set command to check your bootloader entries.

ap: set

BOOT=flash:/c1100-k9w8-mx.122-13.JA1/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1

DEFAULT_ROUTER=192.168.133.1

IP_ADDR=192.168.133.160

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

Step 10 Enter the boot command to reboot the access point. When the access point reboots, it loads the new image.

ap: boot

>> the default password is Cisco or cisco

Regards
Surendra BG

I can get out of the ROMMON mode, that's not the problem.

Problem is that the config file is not reset to factory defaults.

After the reboot you can see that it uses the old config file.

It has the hostname "BEDESAP8" which was the old hostname.

Also the enable password isn't changed to Cisco.

BEDESAP8>sh capwap client config

configMagicMark         0xF1E2D3C4

chkSumV2                17413

chkSumV1                40163

swVer                   3.0.51.0

adminState              ADMIN_ENABLED(1)

name                    BEDESAP8

location                BE - Dessel

Where is the config file stored?

After i issue the dir flash: i don't see the "config.text" that i should rename.

I tried renaming the lwapp_reap.cfg file, but it still has the old config.

ap: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2    -rwx  8455                     event.log

4    -rwx  23940                    lwapp_reap.old

5    drwx  128                      c1140-rcvk9w8-mx

8    drwx  192                      c1140-k9w8-mx.124-18a.JA2

12   -rwx  6168                     private-multiple-fs

13   -rwx  170                      env_vars

I would delete the firmware (c1140-k9w8-mx.124-18a.JA2) making sure to leave the recovery image (c1140-rcvk9w8-mx).  After a reboot, the AP should boot to the recovery image and try to join a controller using whatever discovery method you have in place.

-John

Hi,

After the reset to factory defaults, the AP boots with the /c1140-rcvk9w8-mx image, as you can see below.

Problem is, the configuration isn't deleted.

button pressed for 9 seconds

Loading "flash:/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx"...#############################################################################################################################################################################################################################

File "flash:/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x4000

Someone from Cisco, can you tell me where the config file is, and how can i delete it if i don't have the "enable" password?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

Did you ever get an answer for this?  Regardless, I believe what you're looking for is

ap: delete flash:private-multiple-fs

Are you sure you want to delete "flash:private-multiple-fs" (y/n)?y
File "flash:private-multiple-fs" deleted

That is the actual private config file.  Without it, the AP should boot up with factory defaults.

-Rob

Hi,

No, i haven't received a response that works for my case.

I had to send the AP back to the site from where it got his configs and reset it from the WCS.

I'll note your solution and i'll test it the next time i encounter an issue like this one.

Thanks,

Adrian

I tried this command, delete flash:private-multiple-fs, but it didn't work me. Any idea why?

Here's the flash contents after running the command and reloading

Directory of flash:/

2  -rwx           5  Feb 28 2002 22:49:36 -06:00  private-config
    4  -rwx         289  Feb 28 2002 18:00:11 -06:00  env_vars
    6  -rwx        2043  Feb 28 2002 22:49:36 -06:00  config.txt
    7  drwx         256  Feb 28 2002 18:18:05 -06:00  c1140-k9w7-mx.124-21a.JA1

I don't want to delete anything else without knowing if I'm deleteing the correct file.

There has got to be a way to delete the startup config.

so I took a shot at it and deleted private-config and that didn't do it, so then I deleted config.txt and finally back to defaults.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: