cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Signal of Cisco AIR-AP2802E-S-K9 too weak

zeros66
Level 1
Level 1

I am running about 36 Cisco AIR-AP2802E-S-K9, the antenna is AIR-ANT2524DW-R 2.4 GHz 2 dBi/5 GHz 4 dBi Dipole Ant., White, RP-TNC. But seem the signal of one AP is too weak - the radius about 15-20m. I am using the Cisco Aironet 2800 Series Mobility Express.

Is any way to improve the signal of AP? Anyone, please help me out

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you looked at what setting the radio tx power is set to on that ap?  Maybe swap out the antennas with a known working one to validate is the issue is with the antenna or ap. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The radio tx power (Antenna Gain) current set is 8 ( please see the attachment ).

Do you know the radius' range is acceptable for this Access Point? I am using some APs AIR-AP2802I-S-K9, the radius' range of signal is about > 50m.

Range depends on the environment. Cinder block walls will have more attention than dry wall and open area will have move coverage that the other two mentioned. 
You should have a TX Power showing what RRM, the controller, is setting the TX power to. Not really interested in what the gain is set to. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

This device has internal antennas.  I'm surprised that the 'gain' can be altered.  Set i at zero. and see what happens.

since the maximum ERP (effective radiated power) is set by country code, and a gain of 8 suggests an external hi-gain antenna (when in reality you have little thumb sized antennas)  So the system turns DOWN the TX power to remain within specified max power.  Because you have those tiny antennas, you end up with very little power.

Hi, I set the 'Gain" to zero and seems the signal as previous. You think I am using the antenna inside the AP, not the additional antenna?

As far as I'm aware the 2802E model has no integrated antennas. You need to check to what level the transmit power is configured. 

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

AP transmit power differs based on AP model, configured antenna gain (twice the antenna gain) and the channel.

So make sure that you configure the correct antenna gain and configure the correct channel, certain channels in certain regulatory domains have lower EIRP. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card