Helpful
Replies

Specific channels per WLAN basis on Cisco 9800

ecomengineer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using Cisco 9800-40 WLC.

I have a requirement where I want a specific SSID (say SSID_A) to broadcast on 5GHz on only some specific channels and not on all channel.

That is because the devices connecting to that SSID_A supports only 5GHz and also support only certain specific channels (36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64).

On the GUI, I went to Configuration > Tags & Profiles > RF/Radio > RF and created a new RF profile (say RF_Profile_A_5GHz)

In RF profile RF_Profile_A_5GHz, I went to RRM > DCA and selected only the channels 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64.

Then I went to Configuration > Tags & Profiles > Tags > RF and created a new RF Tag with the name RF_Tag_A_5GHz.
Then assigned that RF tag (RF_Tag_A_5GHz) to the APs in my building.

Now I my WLC have multiple SSIDs that are broadcasting on 5GHz. My question is:

1) Selecting a RF Tag with a specific RF profile means that RF profile is applied to all the SSIDs broadcasted through that AP? Yes or No?

2) I want that RF profile with specific channels enabled (RF_Profile_A_5GHz) to be applicable to only one SSID broadcasting in 5GHz (say SSID_A) and not to all the SSID broadcasting 5GHz. Is that possible anyway?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I don't think I agree with @Flavio Miranda on 2.

On a specific WLAN you can select ENABLED or DISABLED for each band - 2.4GHz and 5 GHz.  Within 2.4 you can select b/g or g only.

But the RF profile gets assigned to the AP not the WLAN so will be equally applied to all WLANs on that AP. 
You cannot have a different RF profile for each WLAN.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi

"1) Selecting a RF Tag with a specific RF profile means that RF profile is applied to all the SSIDs broadcasted through that AP? Yes or No"

Yes.

"2) I want that RF profile with specific channels enabled (RF_Profile_A_5GHz) to be applicable to only one SSID broadcasting in 5GHz (say SSID_A) and not to all the SSID broadcasting 5GHz. Is that possible anyway?"

If in RF Tag you added only the SSID you assigned the specific channels, then yes. An if you have a device which is able to access on SSID only if the SSID propagates in those channels, you can easily test right ?  As soon as you dont have any other AP around.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I don't think I agree with @Flavio Miranda on 2.

On a specific WLAN you can select ENABLED or DISABLED for each band - 2.4GHz and 5 GHz.  Within 2.4 you can select b/g or g only.

But the RF profile gets assigned to the AP not the WLAN so will be equally applied to all WLANs on that AP. 
You cannot have a different RF profile for each WLAN.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card