Views
Helpful
Replies

TKIP &MIC with other manufacturer client

rfrederic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to have an AP 352 with MIC and TKIP enabled AND access to wlan for clients (other than Cisco) who don't implement MIC and TKIP ???

Thans for reply

5 Replies 5

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

MIC and TKIP are part of the Aironet extensions if the client card does not understand the aironet extensions then they will not be able to use these features. If you turn on TKIP then all devices must use it.

So the answer is NO you can not use these features with Non Cisco cards

OK

But is it possible to implement VLANs in the AP352, for example one with MIC & TKIP and the other with "classic" WEP ?

YES..you can implement different vlans for MIC & TKIP and WEP users

Ok, cool.

But now, I want that all users (those on the TKIP,MIC Vlan and those on the "classic" WEP Vlan) reach the same wired network.

I understand that on the Ethernet side of the AP, I have a vlan trunk who carry all the vlans.

But what kind of hardware can I put in front of AP's ethernet to make all wireless users reachable from the wired network (I don't have Vlan on the wired side of the network) ?

Thanks

Most switches now support 802.1q using software or firmware upgrades. If you can upgrade the LAN to support 802.1q then buy a low end router that support 802.1q VLAN routing.. I think I can remember doing this on a 1700.

Failing that, use a router with 2 Ethernet NICs. One ethernet NIC to the wired LAN and the other Ethernet NIC running 802.1q to the AP. Configure InterVLAN routing since all networks (physical and logical) will need to be on a different subnet (Unless IRB functions over the 802.1q to physical link).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card