cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

To make AP9100 signal strong

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, We are going to use cisco AP 9100. and the ceiling height is about 35FT. The signal of AP seems week at the height. If we want to get strongest signal, what suggestions you can share? Thank you

10 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Usually you need to take into account that strong signals don't resolve everything some times it's even the opposite. Remember any signal received by a  client assumes that it can talk to the access point too with it's own strength. Usually site survey is  the best option.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

You did not say which 91xx model you have.  I have a tendency to mount mine on drop-down pipes..  The max ERP is restricted by country code. Bigger antenna's allow you to reduce the power consumed by the AP while still providing the same 'signal' to the client.

So while we can raise or lower the AP TX power,  we can't adjust the RX 'volume'.   That is what we do with the bigger antenna since it affects both the TX and RX..  

Another information we need is,is this a storage area ? what is the location ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you marce1000 and David for your reply! 

We have not decided which model we should use yet. but we like 9100 ap. What we concern is signal strength since these APs would be hung at higher ceiling. so that the purpose of the post is to get some info from experts to make decision what kind of ap model has strongest signal, so that we can buy it. TAC do not support this kind of design issue. I think the forum has a lot good expert. Thank you for your info.

Another way to choose right AP model is to use ekahaul etc with different models

yes do the site survey to get optimal results.

BB

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... typically with indoor ap's the max height you want to go with is max 20'-25' with internal antennas.  Higher than that, you need to use an external antenna that provides you with the coverage you want.  Like what @David Ritter mentioned, if you can drop down a conduit to around 20' that would help with your coverage below.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

I hav seen this kind of setup warehouse, they need to bring the AP down to reasonable height to get expected results, with out droppig the signal strength.

BB

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Usually you need to take into account that strong signals don't resolve everything some times it's even the opposite. Remember any signal received by a  client assumes that it can talk to the access point too with it's own strength. Usually site survey is  the best option.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

You did not say which 91xx model you have.  I have a tendency to mount mine on drop-down pipes..  The max ERP is restricted by country code. Bigger antenna's allow you to reduce the power consumed by the AP while still providing the same 'signal' to the client.

So while we can raise or lower the AP TX power,  we can't adjust the RX 'volume'.   That is what we do with the bigger antenna since it affects both the TX and RX..  

Another information we need is,is this a storage area ? what is the location ?

BB

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you marce1000 and David for your reply! 

We have not decided which model we should use yet. but we like 9100 ap. What we concern is signal strength since these APs would be hung at higher ceiling. so that the purpose of the post is to get some info from experts to make decision what kind of ap model has strongest signal, so that we can buy it. TAC do not support this kind of design issue. I think the forum has a lot good expert. Thank you for your info.

Another way to choose right AP model is to use ekahaul etc with different models

yes do the site survey to get optimal results.

BB

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... typically with indoor ap's the max height you want to go with is max 20'-25' with internal antennas.  Higher than that, you need to use an external antenna that provides you with the coverage you want.  Like what @David Ritter mentioned, if you can drop down a conduit to around 20' that would help with your coverage below.

-Scott

Just to add... this Cisco Press link states 15' - 25'

Cisco 802.11 Wireless Networking: Installing and Configuring Access Points > Site Survey | Cisco Press

-Scott

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you Scott!

I hav seen this kind of setup warehouse, they need to bring the AP down to reasonable height to get expected results, with out droppig the signal strength.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card