cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Levels of HA

fatalXerror
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, I have 2x sites, each site have 2x WLC with SSO. Can I configure N+1 HA between the two sites while maintaining the SSO HA within the sites? thanks

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Do you think this question make sense ? If so  , could you elaborate and explain why this is a useful question ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi @marce1000 , I think it is a valid question for those use cases which cannot meet the requirements of the SSO HA but wanted to have a fully redundant mechanism hence looking if an additional N+1 HA can be done between two sites. Thanks

- I personally believe it is far from a valid question because usually the two sites will serve different purposes including different SSID's and networks, it then makes no sense for APs to jump between sites ,let alone that it will probably even not be possible due to perimeter and firewalling restrictions (e.g.) The basic idea behind N+1 is that it is local and that controllers have symmetrical configurations. 
                        So basically in your example the local SSO HA is indented to be per site  high availability and should be sufficient

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

What wlc platform you have?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes that's exactly what we do to achieve 99.99% availability.
Configure mobility between them and make sure you keep the configs in sync.
Our WLCs are in central data centres and sites are remote.  It might make less sense if the APs are in the same location as the WLCs but doesn't mean you can't do it.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a WLC in SSO in one data centre and the APs are configured to a N+1 incase the data centre fails.

So technically you can, however if APs are in local mode the same VLANs need to exist on each side, and if different subnets then it wont be a seamless failover for the clients. You also need the same config on both sides.

Given your WLCs are at site this HA solution doesnt give you any advantage as generally the SSO cluster at a site would connect to different core switches and idenally be in different comms rooms, so generally speaking the site would be down for the APs to not see a WLC at the site (double hardware failure is extreamely rare).

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

No Cables on Me
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar configuration..  SSO (9800-80) in the main DC, and Single WLC(9800-80) in the backup DC.  The underlying network is exactly the same, and this gives me almost 100% uptime for my clients. 

I have a mobility tunnel between both,   It helps to reduce the stress when you upgrade or any patching.. I am not a fan of ISSU. , 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card