cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to assign qos role to guest user on 2504

christopherice
Level 1
Level 1

I am migrating a config from an old 2504 WLC (2011) running 8.5.140.0 to a newer 2504 (2016) running 8.5.161.0.  I was able to save out a config from the old one and successfully load it to the new one, to my surprise.

However, on the old install, I had guest user bandwidth limits applied and active using QoS roles to successfully limit bandwidth on a per-user basis.  But while the new controller allows me to create a qos role, it does not allow me to assign it:

(Cisco Controller) >config netuser guest-role apply [USERNAME] [QOS ROLE]
Setting User Role is not supported on this platform.

I'm confused as to why I was able to set it on the old one, but am not able to set it on the new one...?  Is this a software version issue, hardware issue, license issue?

Thx!

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

christopherice
Level 1
Level 1

Update here: I pulled the old WLC from service and put the replacement one in anyway.  I added a test user to the old WLC and attempted to apply a qos role and it won't take on that one either.

(Cisco Controller) >config netuser guest-role apply 000test artist

However there are users on this same controller that have bw limits applied...so it *did* work at some point...possibly these users were defined before whatever s/w restriction was added in later sw/fus updates.

(Cisco Controller) >show netuser detail 001

User Name........................................ 001

WLAN Id.......................................... 1

User Type........................................ Guest

Lifetime......................................... Infinity

Start Time....................................... Sun Jul  3 21:59:40 2016

Description...................................... Booth 001

Role Name........................................ artist

Average Data Rate........................... 2000

Burst Data Rate............................. 3500

Average Realtime Rate....................... 2000

Burst Realtime Rate......................... 3500

This is a bummer.  So I'll move my QoS b/w limits up to the router level.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Never used that myself of the 2504 for that matter but looks like it should work, but make sure you're applying the commands in the correct order.  Did you create the user first?
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/cmd-ref/b-cr85/config_commands_j_to_q.html#wp1061080039
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr8.html#wlc-2504
But you might be hitting some variation of https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvf37633 which won't be fixed in 8.5.

Hm. Maybe - per my original post tho, I did try to assign via cli (and via GUI) same answer both ways. I’ve also downgraded the newer WLC to the same OS version (8.5.140.0), and the problem remains. So I can do it on one WLC but can’t on the other, with the same OS version. I think next step is to factory reset the new one, ignore the old config and attempt to create/assign the qos role to a local net user from scratch - will tell me if there is something in the exported config that’s causing a problem. Will update here once I’ve tried that.

christopherice
Level 1
Level 1

Did a system factory-reset using 'Restore-Config'.

Did setup wizard to bring up minimalist system, ignoring any prior configs.

Created qos role.

Set web-policy as the security for my test wlan

Created local net user, and attempted to assign qos role...same answer:

(Cisco Controller) >config netuser guest-role apply test-user artists 

Any other clues?

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's been a long time that I worked in a 2504, but if my memory is correct 2504 doesn't support bandwidth contracts. Refer the release notes 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85.html#:~:text=are%20not%20supported.-,Key%20Features%20Not%20Supported%20in%20Cisco%202504%20WLC,-Domain%2Dbased%20ACLs

Hi Arshad - appreciate that, but clearly it does support it because I have in my hands a 2504 which does support it, on the same s/w release.

christopherice
Level 1
Level 1

Update here: I pulled the old WLC from service and put the replacement one in anyway.  I added a test user to the old WLC and attempted to apply a qos role and it won't take on that one either.

(Cisco Controller) >config netuser guest-role apply 000test artist

However there are users on this same controller that have bw limits applied...so it *did* work at some point...possibly these users were defined before whatever s/w restriction was added in later sw/fus updates.

(Cisco Controller) >show netuser detail 001

User Name........................................ 001

WLAN Id.......................................... 1

User Type........................................ Guest

Lifetime......................................... Infinity

Start Time....................................... Sun Jul  3 21:59:40 2016

Description...................................... Booth 001

Role Name........................................ artist

Average Data Rate........................... 2000

Burst Data Rate............................. 3500

Average Realtime Rate....................... 2000

Burst Realtime Rate......................... 3500

This is a bummer.  So I'll move my QoS b/w limits up to the router level.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card