Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC 9800 N+1 automate configuration replication in an n+1 environment

Guillermo_PY
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

I would to know if someone knows how to automate the config replication between two vWLC9800 operating in N+1.

Do any idea or third party software?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you are handing this off to a customer, I think a script might be a bit overwhelming especially if they make changes or have to make changes to the primary N device in the future.  If you manage this network, then I think it's fine because you would understand the script and would be able to update the script in the future.  Code upgrades can change the commands used and can enable/disable settings, so be careful.  If you really wanted no touch, SSO would of been better, but that is a whole other story.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What I do in N+1 is backup the good controller configuration and edit that for the other N device.  You don't want to just replicate everything in case something was configured and broke something.  You want to make that change manually or script something that works for you.

I use a software called Meld to diff between the files.  This way I know what command lines are different, what might be missing in one or needs to be removed in the other.

https://meldmerge.org/#

-Scott

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i have not come across any tool, other than compare or do manually both same config.

basically after setup both WLC we do not make any major changes, other than adding new SSID or any Major config, we do manually i guess here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Guillermo_PY
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Scott Fella thanks for your response. The idea is to have a script or something to be easier for the administrator.

If you are handing this off to a customer, I think a script might be a bit overwhelming especially if they make changes or have to make changes to the primary N device in the future.  If you manage this network, then I think it's fine because you would understand the script and would be able to update the script in the future.  Code upgrades can change the commands used and can enable/disable settings, so be careful.  If you really wanted no touch, SSO would of been better, but that is a whole other story.

-Scott

Excelent @Scott Fella 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card