cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS - Error occured during data export

endpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, trying to export WCS data in order to migrate to the NCS but getting bellow error messages while following the Exporting WCS data doc:

D:\Program Files\WCS7.0.172.0\bin>export D:\wcs.zip

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Could not create the Java virtual machine.

The procedure i am tring to follow:

To export WCS data, follow these steps:

Step 1 Stop the WCS server.

Step 2 Run the export command through the script file and provide the path and export file name when prompted.

Step 3 For Linux, run export.sh all /data/wcs.zip. For Windows, run export.bat all \data\wcs.zip.

I do have enough available space, the WCS runs as VM

Assistance is very appreciated.

8 Replies 8

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I see two issues here.

1. Bug ID: CSCtn68952 Exporting data from WCS has Out of Memory issue.  There is a work-around for this issue but you might run into an other bug mentioned below.

2. Bug ID: CSCto81983  (Export will fail for db's larger than 4       GB)

Both the bugs have been resolved & the fixes are integrated to       WCS 7.0.220.0.

So I would suggest upgrading your WCS to 7.0.220.0 & then export the data       for NCS.

Thank you,

Ram

I ran in to this same issue (on Windows) and can confirm that upgrading from 7.0.172.0 to 7.0.220.0  and then attempting the export then worked fine.

Thanks for supplying this fix, it saved me a lot of time!

Nigel.

Vincent Fortrat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem but upgrading WCS to 7.0.230.0 didn't resolve the problem. Any idea of what could be the problem ?

Thanks,

Vincent

Hei Vincent

Old thread but anyways have you checked the log file in webnms\ called exportdata-0-0.log or similar?

cheers

herve.collignon
Level 1
Level 1

I face the same issue and the following workaround worked fine:

Edit the file export.bat and on the line starting %WEBNMS_HOME% change the value

-Xmx2048m

to

-Xmx670m

, then save the file and

attempt the export again.

I upgraded to version 7.0.222 and didn't work, but making the edit you recommended did the trick!

Cheers!

C:\Program Files\WCS7.0.172.0\bin>export.bat all c:\testdb
Starting database server ...
Database server is running.

here an error occured in exporting. please help me with this  

data export failed.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

To export WCS data in order to migrate to the NCS you need to follow one of the steps-

In order to export the data, use one of these three methods:

1.Copy the data (from either the window or the received HTML code) and use Excel or another application to format it.

2.With a location appliance, from the WCS, go to Location -> Location Server.

a.Choose the server name.

b. Choose Administration.

c. Choose Export Asset information in order to have a list of PC/location/etc. in CSV format.

3.In order to connect to the location appliance, you can make queries directly to the database with SOAP API through a developer provided API if you need to build an in-house location application.

Hope this will help you

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

To export WCS data in order to migrate to the NCS you need to follow one of the steps-

In order to export the data, use one of these three methods:

1.Copy the data (from either the window or the received HTML code) and use Excel or another application to format it.

2.With a location appliance, from the WCS, go to Location -> Location Server.

a.Choose the server name.

b. Choose Administration.

c. Choose Export Asset information in order to have a list of PC/location/etc. in CSV format.

3.In order to connect to the location appliance, you can make queries directly to the database with SOAP API through a developer provided API if you need to build an in-house location application.

Hope this will help you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card