cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WDS on Cisco Catalyst switches, or Cisco routers.

johnsez
Level 1
Level 1

I have found the following information regarding WDS. The document indicates that WDS can be located on Cisco Catalyst switches, or Cisco routers.

A. Cisco SWAN WDS is a collection of Cisco IOS

Software features that enhance WLAN client mobility and simplify WLAN deployment and management. WDS can be located in Cisco Aironet access points, Cisco Catalyst switches, or Cisco routers. WDS is not in the data forwarding path because it maintains separate control and data planes. Data forwarding rates are unaffected by the presence of a WDS device.

When I went to the feature navigator to find out what platforms and what IOS levels were required, the only products that come up as supporting WDS are Access Points.

Does anyone have the information I am looking for??

Is WDS supported on Switches and Routers, and if so which ones and what IOS is required.

I also want to know if WDS is supported on a router, can a router support moore than the recommended 30 AP's per L2 network.

Thank you

John

3 Replies 3

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

WDS supported on AP, WLSM and some router.

Router 12.3(11)T

2610,11,20,21,50,51 "5 AP"

2691 2811 2821 2851 "10 AP"

2851 "20 AP"

3725 "25 AP"

3745 "50 AP"

3825 "50 AP"

3845 "100 AP"

A AP can support up to 60 AP if it's not been use for connecting client.

This limit on a WLSM is 300 AP. You can have more AP on a WLSM but the performance might drop depending on the number of roam/second. I have 500 install so far and it still works ok(for 7920) but my number of mobile node is limited.

jdrubino
Level 1
Level 1

We have it deployed on the 3825 ISR. The only caveat is that there is no support for WLSE when doing WDS on a router.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card