cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless lan migration

LUCA_ITALY
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we want to migrate an old 5520 with 1242 APs to a new controller 9800 with 9120 Aps.

We don't want to replace all the APs at a single time but we want to replace one bisness unit per time...for example marketing one day and R&D another day.

Roaming is not a problem because the locations are phisically separated in the campus.

I want to find the better way to join the APs to the correct controller since the APs and controllers are placed in the same vlan.

We can't use DNS because the A record is already used by another WLC in the company.

How broadcast will behave in this scenario? will the 1242 try to join the new WLC? will the 9120 try to join the old controller? 

OLD APs have the Primary controller name and IP set in the High availability TAB set

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First i would build Cat 9800 WLC with AP setup one of the test location. and test all working as expected. (for testing 1 AP make Manual config to join new controller, since you may use  Option43 here to join controller)

Once all your testings are completed on the test area - Prepare for Migration.

On the preparation of cutover - suggest to change the VLAN Option 43 to new WLC, so new Cat 9100 will join new controller.

OLD AP any way join controller since they already know old WLC.

or for until fully Migrate, you can manually configure IP to join new Controller (if that works, some manual works).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

But this works even if Broadcast discovery is done before the static configuration and DHCP?

Sure if the WLC in same broadcast domain. since you mentioned different building i was in impression WLC in different broadcast domain.

BB

No, as i wrote in my initial post "I want to find the better way to join the APs to the correct controller since the APs and controllers are placed in the same vlan."

New and old WLCs are in the same vlan as well as the old APs

- It could be advisable to create a new vlan/subnet for the 9800 , to avoid broadcast domain collisions

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

If they are in the same VLAN, I would better do with a Manual configuration to be in control.

BB

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...with 1242 APs to a new controller 9800 with....

These access points are bot supported on the 9800.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

No 1242 are not supported on ios-xe devices

>....No 1242 are not supported on ios-xe devices

Good to know! 

M.

LUCA_ITALY
Level 1
Level 1

Found!

I can "Play" with Master Controller Mode. i can enable it so new aps will join the new one (other APs are already primed).

9800 is announcing itself as Master by default and this cannot be changed:

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCvt22075

So i'll try

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card