cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Mesh deployment

josem_155
Level 1
Level 1

Can I Deployed a wireless mesh w/o WCS? is it necessary? I  have 5 1550 AP, WLC (12 AP license) and 1 Catalyst Switch. With all these can I Install a wireless mesh.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes for sure!! WCS is just a management software.. if WCS is down and WLC is up then its not a network down.. you cant manage WLC using WCS thats all!! so in short yes with wat all u have now, you can implement mesh design!!

Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Josem,

You can do this without WCS but I will suggest that you use WCS for a couple of major reasons. First, visualization of the network and the links between the APs. It is much easier to troubleshoot when you look at a map highlighting links and parent child relationships between APs. Second, reporting. Most MESH networks require much higher level of performance reporting than traditional networks. Notification and cleanair. Cleanair reports are critical in a MESH network and notification to administrators in a clear and concise manner is also very valuable. So there it is in a nutshell. You can do what you want and it will work without WCS BUT you will make your life a whole lot easier if you add WCS to your management suite of tools.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: