cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC-9800 - AP Service Package - Upgraded and Not Impacted

HVO-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, running software 17.9.2, and tried to install "Hitless recomended SMU, CSCwd87612, dated 23-Dec-2022.
Uploaded and did a commit, but nothings happen.
The status is "Upgraded and Not Impacted".

What does this mean ? Any suggestions ?

Upgrade statistics is:
Upgrade Status : Complete
Percentage Complete : 100
From Version : 17.9.2.52
To Version : 17.9.2.201
Started at : 02/25/2023 09:27:30 CEST
Ended at : 02/25/2023 09:27:30 CEST
Number of APs
Upgraded : 71
In Progress : 0
Remaining : 0

Logs is like this:

INSTALL COMMIT OPERATION:

Initiating INSTALL_COMMIT operation
install_commit: START Sat Feb 25 10:46:16 CEST 2023
install_commit: Committing SMU
Executing pre scripts....
install_commit:
Executing pre sripts done.
--- Starting SMU Commit operation ---
Performing SMU_COMMIT on all members
[1] SMU_COMMIT package(s) on chassis 1/R0
[1] Finished SMU_COMMIT on chassis 1/R0
[2] SMU_COMMIT package(s) on chassis 2/R0
[2] Finished SMU_COMMIT on chassis 2/R0
Checking status of SMU_COMMIT on [1/R0 2/R0]
SMU_COMMIT: Passed on [1/R0 2/R0]
Finished SMU Commit operation

SUCCESS: install_commit /bootflash/C9800-universalk9_wlc.17.09.02.CSCwd87612.SPA.apsp.bin Sat Feb 25 10:46:30 CEST 2023
Regards
Johann Folkestad

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...The status is "Upgraded and Not Impacted".
             - To me it looks like an all done and OK message , you also have in the output :
                        >....Upgrade Status : Complete
                             Percentage Complete : 100

You  may also check , the health of your controller's configuration with the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories!

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you Marce. I will try this tomorrow

Regards
Johann Folkestad

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@HVO-cisco wrote:
Upgrade statistics is:
Number of APs
 Upgraded : 71

Reboot the APs.

Hi Leo. Thanks for your reply.
I have rebooted a few of them, but they still comes up with version 17.9.2.52.

HVOcisco_0-1677435649107.png

Please post the complete output to the WLC command "sh install summary". 

Hi Leo. Here is the output:

HVOcisco_0-1677491853919.png

This is odd.  

"sh install summary" is showing the APSP is installed in the controller, however, the WLC is reporting the AP to be running 17.9.2.52 (instead of 17.9.2.201).

Let's keep this simple, shall we?  In the next two weeks (maybe end of February 2023), IOS-XE version 17.9.3 will drop.  If all the APs are accounted for, wait until 17.9.3 comes out and upgrade to that version.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

See the APSP section of https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/Cisco_Catalyst_9800_Series_Wireless_Controllers_Patching.pdf for commands to use to check SP installation status on APs.  In some cases the SP will only apply to some models of AP.  Your stats suggest it's already applied to all the relevant APs.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From what you posted, the upgrade was successful.  The others have provided you recommendations if you want to did in deeper.  You can always test by getting a spare ap with have that try to join the controller.  At least that can help validate if the issue is fixed.  Just keep this issue in mind in case you have ap's that have bounced and have not re-joined the controller.  You can look at the command in this guide to identify if any of your ap's that are not joined is hitting the bug.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-700-series-access-points/218447-ios-ap-image-download-fails-due-to-expir.html 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

jasonm002
Level 1
Level 1

do "show ap image file summary" on the WLC, the SMU you installed I think only applies to older APs running IOS, the 9130 AP runs COS and it's not affected/impacted by the issue in the SMU.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card