Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 9800 HA + Cisco 9136I-E 5ghz slot 2 disabled

DariuszD
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

I am in the process of implementing cat 9800-40 and AP 9136i-E in my infrastructure. Currently I have already managed to run HA sso between two WLCs and connect two APs along with configuring wifi network. I noticed that the APs that connect to the WLC with the status “joined” automatically disable the 5GHZ band for Slot 2 (channel width: 20MHz channel:36) on Slot 1 the 5GHZ band works correctly and has the status “enable”. The devices are operating in Poland so also on the WLC the country code is set as PL and on the AP I set the code PL. I'm trying to understand why the WLC automatically disables the 5GHz band for slot 2 and is this correct ?

As far as I know the rules allowing for 5GHz channels in the EU and Poland allow the use of channels 32-68, 96-144 and 149-177.

Drawing on your experience and knowledge, which has helped me many times on this forum I would like to ask for some explanation

P.S

AP model with the ending “-E” is intended for Poland as far as I know.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware is the controller on?

Hi Leo

Cisco IOS Software [Cupertino], C9800 Software (C9800_IOSXE-K9), Version 17.9.5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

>...Cisco IOS Software [Cupertino], C9800 Software (C9800_IOSXE-K9), Version 17.9.5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    You may also consider moving on to https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286316412/type/282046477/release/Dublin-17.12.3
                M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Start with an overall check of  the primary 9800-40 controller configuration using the CLI command : 

show tech wireless

and feed the output from that into https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

Use the full command , do not use a simple 'show tech' for this procedure.

Check and review all tabs in the resulting Excell.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

RoadRunner4k
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Catalyst 9136 Series Access Points Deployment Guide - Cisco

Slot 2 is still on roadmap (future release) might be in 17.15.X its supported. 

@RoadRunner4k >....Slot 2 is still on roadmap (future release) might be in 17.15.X its supported. 
                                   I don't think this is relevant here because there is a standard 5Ghz radio on Slot 1

, M.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Also note that 5Ghz not working can sometimes be related to powering APs and or not enough power being obtained  ; check this 
   https://travelingpacket.com/2024/03/26/enable-syslog-for-9800-controller-and-aps/
      Meaning enabling controller syslog and syslog functionalities for the APs can help getting insights

You may also check the logs on an AP just after boot and look for issues related to power if any

M.

RoadRunner4k
Level 1
Level 1

I got a setup running on C9300-HX and C9136 ( on 17.12.4 ) and slot 2 is still disabled. Only got 5Ghz on slot 1. When reading this document slot 2 is a future thing as i understand.

Cisco Catalyst 9136 Series Access Points Deployment Guide - Cisco

RoadRunner4k_0-1725880731404.png

List Cisco IOS XE Wireless Features per Release - Cisco

They mention Quad mode support from 17.13.1 guess this will enable slot 2 ? but correct me if I'm wrong  

@RoadRunner4k  - All of that may be correct , but the user reported a problem with standard 5Ghz which is available in slot 1

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card