cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC failover

cscyangyu
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 WLC, when i shut down the primary WLC, the 1231 AP didn't register to the backup WLC. All of the 1242 AP can register to the backup WLC. I wonder if the 1231 doesn't support the WLC failover.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

take a look under the Security tab, AP Policies. Make sure, if there is an SSC on the primary, that it also exists on the secondary.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Yang,

The 1231 should support failover just like the 1242's. Can you please check the second config listed below;

WLAN Controller Failover for Lightweight Access Points Configuration Example

Configure

1. Configure Mobility Groups for the WLCs

2. Assign Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Controllers for the Lightweight AP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

I configured the WLCs the same as this Doc, but after the primary WLC was shutdown, the 1231 APs

were shut down also . I checked the 1231 AP and 1242 AP . There is no difference between 1231 and 1242's configuration except the 1231 support b/g/n &a/n, 1241 only support a/g/n.

take a look under the Security tab, AP Policies. Make sure, if there is an SSC on the primary, that it also exists on the secondary.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Yes, you are right , The SSC is enabled on the Primary WLC, but not on the Backup WLC. Thank you very muchh , i will enable SSC on the backup WLC and test it at the weekend.

Thank your guys help .

Can we do the same thing with WCL 4400 and 5500 series for failover? We have 1 existing 4400 WLC and we wanted to purchase another 1 for fail-over as well as backup. But right now, 4400 is EOL already. The only option is to have the 5500 WLC.

So if you do have previous set-up like this, so I would need your inputs.. Otherwise, same as usual, will gonna test to work this out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card