Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Migration

SNGreene
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can someone point in the direction to migrate from 5508 to 8540 WLC? Best practice? Steps to complete the migration? I have them both up and online. I am needing assistance on how to migrate our 300+APs over to the 8540. Also anything on using DNA if possible.

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have Prime ?

check the compatability with new controller and AP matrix.

From WLC config (if you dont have Prime) go to Controller config, change the primary controller as new one.)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the reply. I do have Prime and it is compatible. 

then create a Template and move the AP to the new WLC, for testing take 2-5 AP Move to the new WLC and test it al working as expected. then move the rest of them, Leave OLD WLC for a week or 2 before removing from the Live network, in case if you hit a major issue you can roll back.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Awesome will check this out now and let you know how it goes. Truly appreciate it.

Will you elaborate on the steps to complete this? Prime template is not intuitive. Nor bringing up the new WLC. Licensing? APs connecting? Configurations from the old WLC to the new one?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I really hope you haven't purchased the 8540 yet.

Why do you say that? What do you recommend?

@SNGreene wrote:

Why do you say that? What do you recommend?

Cisco has announced the EoS/EoL for the 8540 back in January 2021 (LINK).  

Aside from 8.10MR6 (which will be released in a few weeks) there will be one (maybe two), top, firmware release and then no more. 

Buying the 8540 now is a waste of money. 

The 5520/8540 will be replaced by the 9800.

Cisco Promo:  50% off Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers

Thank you for the insight. I'm tracking the EOL and EOS for the 5508 and 8540. We have already purchased the 8540s and have them partially up. We're putting together a migration plan to upgrade the hardware in phases. Since we already have the 8540s we're going to use them until the plan is formalized and budget approved for the 9800s. So I'm in need understanding how to accomplished both phases. 5508 to the 8540s. Then how to migrate from the 8540s to the 9800s, which may not do since the 9120 APs have WLCs embedded in them.

SNGreene
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any resources I refer to that will walk through using the template? I have created the template and it is not intuitive on the process. I could really use a step by step walk through on this process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card