cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR-9901 not keeping the clock setting

nesttech1
Level 1
Level 1

We have noticed that ASR-9901 running IOS XR 7.5.2 is not keeping the clock setting after reload.

We set the correct time and date using the "clock set" command and it shows up as below:

=============================

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#sh plat

Sat Nov  4 13:00:40.247 PDT

=============================

However, once the router is powered down and reloaded, the time and date is showing as follows:

=========================

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#sh plat

Thu Jun 22 13:13:53.280 PDT

=========================

Let me know any recommendations to fix this issue.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

TorbjĆørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Clocks and related technologies isn't my strongest area, so don't quote me on this. I believe "clock set" only sets the software clock of your device. If you want this to persist after a reload you will need to sync the hardware clock("calendar") to your software clock with "clock update-calendar".

The hardware clock is kept running with a battery when the device is turned off. Upon boot the software clock is set from the hardware clock until it is eventually synced up with NTP.

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

We have tried the "update-calendar" command, but it says that it is not applicable for this platform.  See below:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#clock set 18:49:30 november 5 2023

Fri Jun 23 18:46:40.140 PDT

18:49:30.008 PST Sun Nov 5 2023

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#clock update-calendar

Sun Nov  5 18:49:52.690 PST

The command is not applicable to this platform

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @nesttech1,

Please note that there are independent system clocks for the XR Console and the System Admin console.

To ensure that these clocks do not deviate from "true time", they need to be synchronized with NTP server. So, you need to add NTP server for the XR console. After that, xR console clock is synchronized, the System Admin console clock will automatically synchronize with him.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

We are just trying to set the correct date and time for the regular XR Console for now.

Every time the clock goes back to the previous setting (June 23)

Maybe this router need a battery on the main board to be replaced?

Thank you!