cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HOW TO CONFIGURE SIP-800 IN CRS-8

hallcarrjames
Level 1
Level 1

I have inserted a SIP-800 card into my CRS-8.   I inserted the SPA into the SIP.   I cannot find how I configure the SIP or the SPA.  I have spent the day reading the manual but no where do I see the commands to activate or get the SIP up and running.   I am at a lost

22 Replies 22

You are right and not right

from one side you have 4 cards at the back and all of them are active

from the other side you said there are 2 acrds and actually there are 4 of them

and they are compartible with SIP-800 but they are not enough

If you taake a look at the fron side of the chassis, you see slots where you can install SIP-800

At the back side of the chassis, you can see similar slots, but in these slots you need to put FP-40 or CRS-MSC-B which are compartible with SIP-800

As soonnas both sides of the chassis will be populated with compartible cards sip-800 will become up

I hope it is more clear now

wbr

/vz

Ok I have looked to purchase either the MSC-B or the FP-40.  They are pricey.  Lets say I wasnt married to the SIP-800 card.  What other configuration (cards) could I get.  My goal is to be able to use any transciever in the unit

Hey Jim,

It will be necessary to purchase an MSC or FP of some variety to use any CRS linecard, as the PLIM in front won't operate without one of these in the back.

The original generation of linecards will work with MSC-B, and some with FP-40:

8x10GE XFP (either)

8x10GE Xenpak (MSC)

4x10GE XFP (either)

4x10GE Xenpak (either)

16xOC48 (MSC)

4xOC192 (MSC)

1xOC768 (MSC)

SIP-800 (MSC)

2x10GE-FLEX (either)

20x1GE-FLEX (either)

42x1GE (either)

CGSE (either)

Newer linecards (=14x10GE, 20x10GE, 1x100GE) use the MSC-140G or FP140.

Ok I get it .  It appears that my predecessor got us on the wrong path.  The MSC cards I see are very very pricey.   Not sure what other options I have though.  

I am about to purchase this today.   One last clarification before I pull the trigger on this purchase.  I only need to buy an MSC-B card to get the SIP-800 working.  I do not need to buy a FP-40 card.    I am not sure what the purpose of the 4 FC-140 cards I currently have

Hey Jim,

It may help to understand where the packet physically goes when going through a CRS:

Ingress PLIM --- Ingress MSC --- Fabric --- Egress MSC --- Egress PLIM

The PLIM has port ASICs and transceivers - not a lot in the way of board logic. The MSC has most of the forwarding logic for the linecard, and then the fabric has very high-speed ASICs to be able to communicate between all the MSCs. Your FC-140s are the fabric.

If you look at a chassis like the 7600, the function of the PLIM and MSC are combined and we just call it the linecard. The fabric is built into the backplane instead of cards.

The CRS-FP40s are MSC replacements that have less expensive forwarding components, but they'll only work with some PLIMs and I believe there are some small feature differences. The SIP-800 is not one of the PLIMs that will work with the FP40 - see more here.

Interesting.  Actually this info is a little different than what I was told.   So  to cut to the chase.  I only need to purchase an MSC-B in order to get my SIP-800 up and running

Yes, that is correct - if you have a CRS up and running with FC140s and you already have the SIP-800, you only need the CRS-MSC-B to make it work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: