cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade ASR 9006 from 32-bit IOS XR to IOS XR 7.0??

pfx253649
Level 1
Level 1

I've always used turboboot previously, seems that is not possible anymore.

I download the installer and documentation and start to follow directions from:

ASR9K_Upgrade_Downgrade_Procedure_IOSXR_Rel_701.pdf

I get to the step that says:

"Following install operations must be performed in “xm” vm"

Huh? What is XM VM?

Oh well, continue with install, next step:

install add source tftp://202.153.144.26/auto/tftp-blr-users1/rthiruve asr9k-eigrp-x64-1.0.0.0r701.x86_64.rpm asr9k-isis-x64-1.1.0.0-r701.x86_64.rpm asr9k-k9sec-x64-2.1.0.0-r701.x86_64.rpm...<truncated>

This ends up failing due to wrong packages or packages not recognized, something to that affect.

So, I guess I have to convert to 64-bit OS? Start to follow this guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/migration/guide/b-migration-to-ios-xr-64-bit/b-migration-to-ios-xr-64-bit_chapter_011.html

Get to step 3:

Step 3

Setup a user with root-lr privileges only in the XR plane.

XR Plane:
username root
group root-lr
password <password>
!

How do I get to the "XR Plane"??

Does anyone have a step by step guide for this? I'm currently running 6.4.2 32BIT on this particular chassis.

6 Replies 6

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With 7.0 we have gotten rid of 32-bit releases so what you are seeing is 64-bit releases.

We are still planning 6.7 and 6.8 for 32-bit only releases, after that (mid-2021) that will likely be the end of 32-bit new releases or possibly just EMRs at that point, planning hasn't gotten that far.

We need to remember that 32-bit started in 2008 on ASR9K, and we have gone from 32-bit cXR to 64-bit eXR to XR7 (not the same as 7.0, eXR is still continuing) during that time.

Sam

This is all good information to know and I appreciate that.

Unfortunately, it does not help me upgrade the box.... :(

AARON WEINTRAUB
Level 1
Level 1

the XR plane just refers to the normal configuration plane in 32 bit mode (vs the admin plane). I agree it is probably not worded the best.  In other words, to get to the XR configuration plane in 32 bit, just do "conf".  Honestly though, we have found it easier to copy the config to a USB drive, get a 2nd pair of R(S)Ps running in 64 bit, then take out the old RPs, put in the new RPs and copy the config from the USB drive to the new RSPs

jigojar
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Can someone provide the detailed steps for the ASR 9006 router software upgrade from 6.1.4 to 7.0

7.0 is 64-bit only.

As OP mentioned you will need to follow the migration guide if you are coming form 32-bit.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/migration/guide/b-migration-to-ios-xr-64-bit/b-migration-to-ios-xr-64-bit_chapter_011.html

If you are already on 640bit (rpm based) then its the same upgrade procedure as 32-bit.

Sam