cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of TFTP to upgrade CE XR router via mgmt vrf from PE XR router

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

I have a few CE routers that require an extra module loading.

These routers have no access to the default vrf on a core router, they can only be accessed for management via that vrf.

Is there any way to upload via TFTP (or any other protocol) an image file from one of the core routers to the CE?

I cannot find a way of instructing the client (CE) router to specify a VRF in the copy tftp command string. On the CE I have configured the tftp client to use the management vrf, but every copy attempt results in `no route to host' messages.

The routers are all ASR9000 running 4.3.0 code.

Initally these were configured using the default vrf and the copy process worked fine, but not when using another vrf.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Do you mean something like 'copy tftp://a.b.c.d/file harddisk: vrf TEST' on the CE?

You will also need to setup the PE as a TFTP server with 'tftp ipv4 server homedir harddisk:'

HTH,

Sam

View solution in original post

I should add that the Mgmt_VRF is just a name, it can be whatever name you call the management vrf...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Do you mean something like 'copy tftp://a.b.c.d/file harddisk: vrf TEST' on the CE?

You will also need to setup the PE as a TFTP server with 'tftp ipv4 server homedir harddisk:'

HTH,

Sam

hi,

You would need to specify the management vrf. Example of copying a tar file to harddisk on the asr9k,

then untarring it, and installing:

a)copy ftp://user:password@8.19.0.252;Mgmt_VRF/tftpboot/xr/423/ASR9K-iosxr-px-k9-4.2.3.tar harddisk:/sw/423

b)cd harddisk:/sw/423 then type “run”

c) tar –xvf ASR9K-iosxr-px-k9-4.2.3.tar   (to untar the tar image)

d) admin install add source harddisk:/sw/423 asr9k-mini-px.pie-4.2.3 asr9k-mgbl-px.pie-4.2.3 asr9k-k9sec-px.pie-4.2.3 asr9k-mcast-px.pie-4.2.3 asr9k-mpls-px.pie-4.2.3 asr9k-fpd-px.pie-4.2.3 activate sync prompt-level none   (note the spaces!!)

Note: if you don’t have a management VRF, then the Mgmt_VRF CLI is not needed

hth,

david

I should add that the Mgmt_VRF is just a name, it can be whatever name you call the management vrf...

Great, that worked fine. Pity Cisco didnt include the vrf keyword in the documentation for the command!