cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deploy different Jabber-Config.xml files to different users.

LARRY LARSEN
Level 1
Level 1

I am on CUPS V10.0.1 using Jabber for Windows 11.1.  I would like 2 different users to get different config files from the server.  1 group will get a custom tab and the other group will not.  

Is there an option to point different people to different config files?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Here the link: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber_chapter_01001.html#CJAB_TK_C9AF6024_00

But it seems that ii only works for user with a CSF device or mobile like TAB or other.

Is there a way for windows users with work phone without creating a CSF device? Creating a CSF device hits maybe  a license issue.

View solution in original post

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is one example, say for example two group configuration file is needed for two set of people:

1) Create one configruation file called -"jabber-config-group1.xml" file for one set of people

2) Create another configuration file called - "jabber-config-group2.xml" file for 2nd set of people

Assing first config file to each users softphone's (CSF devices) - "Ciscosupportfiled" attribute and assing the 2nd config file to each users softphone's "CiscoSupportFiled" attribute.

When Jabber logs in it will pick up the Group configuration file over the the default jabber-config.xml and overwrite it.

In CiscoSupportFiled make sure that the custom configuration file is named in this format

configurationfile=jabber-config-group1.xml

Details:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110_chapter_01010.html#CJAB_TK_CC291813_00

Call Manager is not DLU based anymore on version 10.x. Most likely there should not be any licensing issue with CSF device.

Another way is to specify the "TFTP_FILE_NAME" with msiexec.exe installer as command line parameter to specify the config file

Details here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110_chapter_01100.html

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, the documentation on how to generate the jabber-config.xml also explains how to configure the global file, and a file for a group of users, or a single user, have you reviewed it????

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Here the link: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber_chapter_01001.html#CJAB_TK_C9AF6024_00

But it seems that ii only works for user with a CSF device or mobile like TAB or other.

Is there a way for windows users with work phone without creating a CSF device? Creating a CSF device hits maybe  a license issue.

We need a way to set a jabber-config.xml file without creating a CSF device. Creating that device triggers a license and Jabber for IM&P is no longer free.

We have some users with full UC and others with IM&P only. Currently the IM&P-only users on Windows are getting an error, due to bug CSCux31765.

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is one example, say for example two group configuration file is needed for two set of people:

1) Create one configruation file called -"jabber-config-group1.xml" file for one set of people

2) Create another configuration file called - "jabber-config-group2.xml" file for 2nd set of people

Assing first config file to each users softphone's (CSF devices) - "Ciscosupportfiled" attribute and assing the 2nd config file to each users softphone's "CiscoSupportFiled" attribute.

When Jabber logs in it will pick up the Group configuration file over the the default jabber-config.xml and overwrite it.

In CiscoSupportFiled make sure that the custom configuration file is named in this format

configurationfile=jabber-config-group1.xml

Details:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110_chapter_01010.html#CJAB_TK_CC291813_00

Call Manager is not DLU based anymore on version 10.x. Most likely there should not be any licensing issue with CSF device.

Another way is to specify the "TFTP_FILE_NAME" with msiexec.exe installer as command line parameter to specify the config file

Details here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110_chapter_01100.html

"Call Manager is not DLU based anymore on version 10.x. Most likely there should not be any licensing issue with CSF device."

sorry but not. A CSF device increase the license level for the user. So if I set the the owner user ID for a CSF to a user that already have an "normal" phone, the level of license is e.g. up from enhanced to enhanced plus.

If I dont set the Owner User ID  at CSF, it will consume an enhanced license. So you must plan the licenses for the users that should use a CSF for another jabber-config File. Without CSF device or mobile you can't use an alternative jabber-config.xml as the default.

Call Manager will definitly require the enhanced Plus. My point was only to the point where the DLU concept doesn't apply anymore where each device is counted toward multiple DLU's which isn't true anymore. Probably more appropirate response would be "... given call manager have the enhanced plus license"

Hi Hasan,

If we upload the custom "jabber-config-group1.xml" on TFTP, will it affect all the clients or just the one we select in "Cisco Support Field" ?

I have a request to disable chat option for a few users, not sure how it can be accomplished. Can I upload customized Jabber-config.xml to the local PC, will that do the trick ?

I read a post in which it says you have to configure the user as Desktop Only client. I know there is an option on IMP server but it will disable the option globally , is there any option to disable it for few users ?

Thank you  

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

thank you for all sharing.

I have the same issue, where I have to deploy different configuration for different groups of users. however, I'm not able to find the field: 

Cisco Support Field in CUCM for iPhone and Android. it's only for CSF.

how I can do this for iPhone and Android?

See my wiki for that

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Jabber_FAQ

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thank you for sharing. I check CUCM version 11 and I found this field in iPhone and tablet but it's not available in Android in your wiki, and as per my understanding, I have to install the COP files for 10.6. should not be available by default in 11?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: