Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber client a lock out

Hi Gents,

Hope you can direct me in the right direction here. I have RMA installed, and it has been working great. But lately, I have been getting user account lock out in the Jabber client, but the AD account isn't. End users said they did not type their password wrong!  CUCM default account policy applies with:

Failed login : 5

Reset login after 30 minutes

lock out duration 30minutes.

During this duration, all i can do is to seat tight and wait. Application is locked even though i try again login! I am at the point where I may completely changed the credential and instruct users how long they have to wait before calling the help desk.

Any ideas what i should try before dropping the bomb on the users? Or increase my security risk!

Thanks 

10 Replies 10

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I thought I replied to this yesterday but I guess I didn't.

If the Jabber client is displaying "Jabber is locked due to too many failed sign in attempts, try again an hour later" then this is Jabber locking you out due to repeated service discovery failures.

I had a TAC case on this recently and asked if they would kindly document this anywhere, since it isn't and is frustrating. Make sure the customer has connected to VPNs or whatever before opening Jabber, and that DNS discovery can succeed with network up, before signing in or opening Jabber if already previously signed in.

Otherwise you have to close it and wait, or reset it before you can use it.

Same problem. Do you have any updates from TAC for this? User have some problem with DNS and then have been locked.

I can't reset jabber, it's already reset and have this error not when you enter password, but when you only enter logn. uninstall doesn't help too. Waiting a hour it's really too long.

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@OlegPerepichay9226 no, sorry. We'd acknowledged what the cause was, and it hadn't really recurred. I didn't see it show up in any documentation either.

It has largely stopped occurring for us so we haven't pursued it.

If the "Reset" option is not available, we've been able to trick the app by going to manual server configuration, which then seems to bypass the lockout but it's annoying. I don't remember exactly how else we got around it, I think I ended up deleting some of the application's files in my user appdata. Neither are really great workarounds unfortunately.

If you have the time to, I would ask TAC to see if they can identify what it was. If there was an adapter that's malfunctioning or something else they can pinpoint. If this is a corporate managed machine, there's a chance that there will be enough of a similarity to find a workaround.

I agree the message is not great, and the idea that it's a hack/flood prevention thing in the application makes no real sense to me at all.

Thanks for reply, it's just once happened, so not really important for now. I just want to know what tac reply for this problem. Workaround with manual server configuration is not bad, thanks(problem gone, so cannot check it).

mudasserilyas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I happened to have the same problem in my system with 12.5 CUCM, IMP and latest Jabber as well. It was really frustrating situation when a head of department called me but I don't know what to do. There is no Cisco documentation as well to solve it. 

I contacted TAC and since I got the engineer to fix my issue, the issue was already resolved. So, I tried to ask them how to immediately fix it, and even they didn't know. He tried to trick me that my Cisco Jabber is also trying to contact Webex. So when we are installing the Cisco Jabber, we need to add cmd command to exclude Webex for Cisco Jabber. 
I asked them to check if it was really a WebEx problem. He said to replicate the issue which I couldn't because user is already fixed by itself.  I had to close the case. 

After few months it repeated again. I got the PRT. I contacted the TAC and asked the same. He said because the user was not having the Voicemail access and Jabber was trying to contact Unity Connection which caused it to lock and we need to wait. Or we can create another Service Profile excluding CUC and it will work. Again as the user was already working, I could not test this. But I knew later it was wrong solution from TAC again. Sadly...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, finally I found a SOLUTION by myself. This error is not server based but purely client app based. If we refresh the app by removing its temp files from windows or clearing the data and cache from Android/iPhone, we should be good to go. 
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Cisco

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\local\Cisco

Exit the jabber completely. I deleted the appdata files from the computer for both local and roaming. Then Open Cisco Jabber and login again. It will work. 
So, this fix worked every time when I faced this issue from any user. 

If you found it helpful, please rate. Thank You. 

Excellent work!   These steps a lifesaver when you need to get remote contact center agents or receptionists re-connected ASAP.   I followed your instructions and it worked great!   Having them offline for an hour is not acceptable....that's lost revenue/missed SLA's for enterprise customers and Cisco should have thought about that.

Thank you! It worked for me!

Thank you... work for me too I appreciate....

Thank you so much!!  This worked perfectly.  Appreciate you sharing the solution.

This doesnt work for mobile, I have over 4000 jabber mobile