Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Linux

Is there a planned Jabber for Linux version?

Message was edited on April 19, 2013:  Lisa Marcyes from the Cisco Collaboration Community Team added community category and tags for greater ease in filtering (no change to content).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cotang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

There are no plans at this time for a Jabber client on Ubuntu or Redhat.

Thanks

Connie

View solution in original post

52 Replies 52

keglass
Level 7
Level 7

Thank you for posting to the Collaboration Community. A similar post was answered by Cisco earlier this year. Please refer here for more information.

https://communities.cisco.com/message/88469#88469

Hope that helps.

Kelli Glass

Moderator for the Cisco Collaboration Community

Kelli, that post was from March 2012. I'd be interested to know if there were any plans for an Ubuntu or Redhat based version of the Jabber client too.

Given how far behind the Mac client is in terms of functionality, I'd guess not though. And given how fragmented the client is on Android, I fear the worst generally.

However, it would be good to get an official steer on whether a linux version will (ever) be considered. Pidgin kind of works as an XMPP client, but lacks many of the nicer Cisco Jabber features on Windows sadly, such as visual voicemail or custom shortcuts.

cotang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

There are no plans at this time for a Jabber client on Ubuntu or Redhat.

Thanks

Connie

Hello,

It's not so nice of Cisco not to have a Jabber Version for a great OS like Linux.

Cisco released an MAC version, so it would be nice to release a Linux Version.

BR,

Bogdan

considering the state of windows 8 and office, I as an administrator will have no alternative other than to switch all my clients to linux in the near future, should we then throw away our vcs package?

our do you just support rather unsecure devices like apple ios, mac os, windows and android?

BR

Sarah

btw tried you android app - great work there!

dennis.connolly
Level 1
Level 1

Would love to know if anyone has installed Windows OS over a Linux OS and run the Jabber Client?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dennis Connolly

I have run 9.0 and 9.1 j4w in Windows 7 using Virtualbox on top of Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10.

No problems.

--
-Mark Turpin

qstyk
Level 5
Level 5

For many reasons, those that are actually responsible for installing, configuring, and maintaining Cisco environments prefer Linux over Windows. Worth noting, is that we're also the ones responsible for whether or not we recommend to our clients whether they should go with Jabber or Lync.

It's time for Linux support for Jabber.

-Jon

Tim Cappel
Level 5
Level 5

I know that Ubuntu has a native XMPP IM client that can be setup to use your Jabber IM functionality.  I don't believe it has softphone/CSF integration, but you could use another SIP client for that.  You have a few options, but non would be as good as simply having the Jabber client. 

luke.hinds1
Level 1
Level 1

Any further movement on this?

I work for a company with 60k employee's and a substantial amount of us use Linux. We find it really frustrating that windows & mac users can IM / Make Voice Calls / Start web ex meetings all in one application, where as we get half the features hacked into VoIP clients and a web browser, and no official support from Cisco.

Please consider getting a Linux client developed. I am not a spokesmen for my Companies IT policy, but me and others are starting to lean on them and push that they consider a product which supports all of its staff.

Alexey Smirnov
Level 4
Level 4

Maybe the only way to provide voice/video calling and IM in a single client for Linux users is to use Jabber Web SDK and embed it in a browser (https://developer.cisco.com/site/jabber-websdk/develop-and-test/integrated-jabber/index.gsp).

Apart from this marvelous demo (https://communities.cisco.com/community/developer/collaboration/jabber/blog/2015/03/17/jabber-sdk-chat-demo-with-material-design) has anyone succeeded in combining Web SDK into one interface?

Voice/video requires browser plugins and Cisco doesn't provide those for Linux.

driz
Level 4
Level 4

I brought supporting linux for both Jabber, spark, and webex up at Cisco Live Local Edition. Hopefully this gets some traction eventually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: