cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

FLEX 3 Onpremises CUCM - quick overview (for customers and partners)

Views
Helpful
Comments

Dear all,

find below some quick notes on new FLEX3 On premises CUCM model. 

New commercial model for CUCM customers --> FLEX 3

FLEX 3 is the new model to purchase CUCM onpremises licenses and support.

It is orderable now and is subscription-based.

Benefits for CUCM customers:

• Better cash flow through monthly and annual billing options (vs. pre-pay)
  • Additional functionality included – SRST, Webex Teams (depends on user type)
  • Allows access to new valueable options/services (like Webex Cloud Connected UC,etc.) 
  • Special pricing
  • Simple and extensible to Meetings. Special bundles for calling+meetings option
  • Flexible migration to the cloud (if desired)

CUCM customers could use it for below cases:

• add  new users
  • upgrade existing users (for example add Jabber softclient to existing user,etc)
  • SWSS Renewals

You can have a mix of perpetual licenses with SWSS and Flex 3 licenses on same CUCM.

What about old traditional ordering path ?

Traditional perpetual part numbers (CUCM Essential,Basic, Enh, Enh Plus, CUWL) will be available for ordering till 23 Jan2021. After 23 Jan 2021, only FLEX3 will be available option.

Related End of Sales can be found below :

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing Standard Edition / Perpetual

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Unified Communication Manager / User Connect Licensing- Perpetual

Customers with existing SWSS could maintain them till 31 Jan 2024 if desired or move to flex3 model at some time.

Is there a change on CUCM product itself?

There is no change on the product itself and offcourse there are no plans for end of sale of CUCM solution. CUCM development continues as planned - CUCM 14 is expected in 2021 and we are planning/developing future versions.

FLEX 3 license types and mapping with CUCM licenses :

Capture.PNG

azoupas_0-1602191190907.png

So:

if you need multiple devices (users with softphones,etc) and voicemail --> Flex 3 Professional

if you need 1 device (phone or Jabber softphone) only --> Flex 3 Enhanced

If you need 1 devices (phone of type 7821,7811, 3905 analog) -- > Flex 3 Access

All provide SRST and MRA. Enh and Prof provide also paid Webex Teams messaging.

And, offcourse, there is an option to combine Professional user with Webex Meetings service --> Meeting and Calling pack

FLEX EA(Enterprise agreements) are also available with great benefits.

Important note on subscription and expirations:

Note that FLEX3 is subscription model and provides services while subscription is active. This means that, if Flex3 subscription is not renewed and expires, then CUCM system will move to ''out of compliance mode'' state and would provide 90 days grace period to allow customer to renew subscription. All services run without problem during this 90-day grace period. If 90 days pass and subscription has not renewed, then CUCM will move to ''enforcement mode'' and will not allow admin to do (MACD) Move/Adds/Changes/Deletion tasks.

So it is important to maintan your subscriptions and plan properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope this helps

please rate if you find helpful

Index of all my collab community posts --> Looking for info on Cisco Collab solutions ? 

rgds

Alkiviadis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: this post was created in order to provide useful info to Cisco partners and customers in my area (Greece/Cyprus and Malta).  For official and updated information, please consult cisco documentation, datasheets and ordering guides.

Comments
Cisco Employee

In regards to this part:

You can have a mix of perpetual licenses with SWSS and Flex 3 licenses on same CUCM.

Two things got my attention:
1. Only CUCM is mentioned.
2. It implies SWSS must be active in the perpetual licenses.

Do other apps involved in Flex 3 such as Unity Connection also benefit from being able to mix licensing?

And I can foresee mixing clients who renew their Flex share of the subscription, but not the SWSS.  What happens if they don't?

Cisco Employee

Hi @Carlos Marin 

1. focus of this short overview was CUCM so this is the reason only CUCM is mentioned.
If you are interested in another product (unityconnection,etc), please check associated documentation.

Policies there might vary depending on product. 

For example, my expectation is that Unityconnection would also allow mixing licenses on same Unityconnection server (perpetual and Flex) (since Unity connection is closely bundled with CUCM licenses). 

But note that this might not be the case for all products. CCX for example- not sure if CCX perpetual and A-FLEX-CC can coexist on same UCCX.  

2. Not such intention and not aware of such  rule. My understanding that if you have CUCM with perpetual lics and SWSS expired. then still you would be able to add new users with Flex3 or convert some users to Flex3. But at time of upgrade, your users under perpetual lic would not be entitled to major upgrade without SWSS so you would need to move them to FLEX3 also. But if you have such case would be ideal to crosscheck with Flex3 team. 

Regarding below topic: 

''And I can foresee mixing clients who renew their Flex share of the subscription, but not the SWSS.  What happens if they don't?''

As stated above, my understading is that if SWSS is not renewed then users under these SWSS will not be entitled to major upgrades and support. I don't know if BU(Business Unit) has in mind some other policy about this. 

rgds

Alkiviadis

Content for Community-Ad