Views
Helpful
Replies

converting g711 prompt to g729

abhasjain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please let me know how to convert recorded prompts to g729 format ?

Regards,

AJ

8 Replies 8

Prompts should be in CCITT u-Law format 8.000 kHz, 8 Bit, Mono 7kb/sec.  You can use Audacity, Gold Wave, Sound Forge to converst your prompts to this format.

david

Call Manager will do it for you. I have an older 4.3 Windows version I use because it's easy to get them on and off the file system.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

Enlighten me please, why would this be necessary?  Is it if there are no transcoders in the environment?

david

David,

We did a customer with all G.729 (CVP) and had to convert G.711 recorded prompts to G.729. We used the converter on Call Manager to convert the prompts and then used a hex editor to fiddle the bit in the header so the gateway media player would play them.

Flat codec is best.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi,

I have a little stupid question.

Why we configure codec settings on CVP.

1) Is it to configure the expected media file properties placed on media server.

2) To configure the codec to use for the RTP stream between the GW and IP Phone.

Thanks,

Amir

Hello Geoff

Could you clarify the " used a hex editor to fiddle the bit in the header so the gateway media player would play them" part. I have the same situation as you have told. I'm installing CVP 8.5 and my customer wants g729 every where and I have converted the wav files using the  converter on Call manager but they are not being played by the vxml gateway. However the original g711 ones play fine.

Looking at your post I'm not sure on the process of changing the bit in the header.

Thanks

Victor

From the CVP 8.0(1) release notes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/customer_voice_portal/cvp8_0/release/notes/cvp_801_rnotes.pdf

Modifying G.729-encoded Prompts and Music-On-Hold Media for Gateway Compatibility

Unified CVP 8.0(1) supports G.729 in single-codec deployments. However, prompts and music on hold media files that are stored on a media server and played through a gateway must be modified to work with the gateway. The following procedure should only be used to modify G.729 encoded media files that have to be sent through a gateway from a Unified CVP media server. Music on Hold that is played from the Unified Communications Manager does not need to be modified

Step 1 Log into Unified Communication Manager’s MOH File management section. (Media Resources -> MOH Audio file management

Step 2 Upload the .wav file that you want to convert to G.729. (Unified CM will convert to various formats)

Step 3 SSH to Unified Communication Manager’s Admin CLI

Step 4 Run the following command to see the MOH file list: admin:file list activelog mohprep

admin:file list activelog /mohprep

CiscoMOHSourceReport.xml

SampleAudioSource.alaw.wav

SampleAudioSource.g729.wav

SampleAudioSource.ulaw.wav

SampleAudioSource.wb.wav

SampleAudioSource.xml

dir count = 0, file count = 6

Step 5 Run the following command to SFTP the file to the share: admin:file get activelog mohprep/.wav

admin:file get activelog mohprep/EyesOnMePiano.wb.wav

Please wait while the system is gathering files info ...done.

Sub-directories were not traversed.

Number of files affected: 1

Total size in Bytes: 1343506

Total size in Kbytes: 1312.0176

Would you like to proceed [y/n]? y

SFTP server IP:

SFTP server port [22]:

User ID:

Password: *****

Download directory: \

Make sure to use \ when downloading if your SSHd server is windows based.

Step 6 Obtain a copy of a HEX editing tool. For example, one can be found at http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Family/hex-editor.html (This tool is not endorsed or supported by Cisco).

Step 7 Edit the .wav file with the HEX editor, and set the header 16-bit value at offset 14 hex to 5339 (DB 14 lo-hi byte)

52 49 46 46 48 14 00 00 57 41 56 45 66 6D 74 20

16 00 00 00 xx xx 01 00 40 1F 00 00 E8 03 00 00

Step 8 Change xx xx to DB 14 and save the .wav file.

Personally, I used a Hex plugin for Notepad++. It's a pain, but once you get the rhythm, it's not too bad.

Step 7 Edit the .wav file with the HEX editor, and set the header 16-bit value at offset 14 hex to 5339 (DB 14 lo-hi byte)

52 49 46 46 48 14 00 00 57 41 56 45 66 6D 74 20

16 00 00 00 xx xx 01 00 40 1F 00 00 E8 03 00 00

Step 8 Change xx xx to DB 14 and save the .wav file.

Personally, I used a Hex plugin for Notepad++. It's a pain, but once you get the rhythm, it's not too bad.

Excellent. I did not know that trick had been published yet.

I also use the hex plugin for Notepad++ but my colleague worked out a batch method of twiddling the header. I'll have to check with him how this was done.

Great post.

Regards,

Geoff