cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX 12.5 - Backup Error (Ontape Backup Failed)

Quintin.Mayo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

We have a two node UCCX cluster and now experiencing a issue on the publisher completing backups.  Backup logs indicate a issue for the archive backup component. This is only happening on the publisher node backups are completing on the subscriber.  We have restarted the DRF Master and Local services on both nodes without resolution.  Not sure if this is related to a bug?  Any direction would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Are you short on space? That could cause ontape to fail during the data export process.

Have you verified that SFTP server credentials are still good and that SFTP server is not out of space?

Is it possible you're running into this based on your version and description?
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvu07542

mparra.fusionet
Level 1
Level 1

@Quintin.Mayo  I presume you might have fixed it since it has been a while, but I was able to get to the bottom of this with a TAC case:

2023-10-14 18:36:21 :INFO: Results of executing [source /opt/cisco/uccx/bin/uccx_ids.env ; ontape -v -s -L 0 -t STDIO > /common/drf/ccx_comps/uccx_db/ontape_uccx_backup.gz], returnCode :[256], Output :[Using the backup and restore filter /bin/gzip -c.
Archive failed - ISAM error: An error has occurred during archive back up.

In short our UCCX backup schedule the backup was running at a time when there is a process that updates Statistics in the UCCX DB, this creates a DB problem that can't be caught with normal commands (utils dbreplication runtimestate - utils uccx dbreplication status), but the back up does get affected, to fix it do this on the PUB and the issue will be solved:

utils service restart Cisco Unified CCX Database
utils service restart Cisco DRF Master
utils service restart Cisco DRF Local

Long Story: Our backups runs at time daily (2:50AM) while a a UCCX process named Update Database Statistics runs at 3AM during the weekends, in the UCCX operations guide it says not have a backup overlap when this process is happening, in older UCCX versions this process used to happen daily at 2AM and that is why we had the backup at 2:50 to avoid it, we thought we were smart outmaneuvering the issue by choosing this time but the timing of the backup changed.

I suspect this could happen also even if your backup is running at a different time, for example VM issues (CPU-RAM-HDD) while this process happens could trigger it and CCX can't recover.

Another Giveway to know that this is the issue in question is in the log:

2023-10-14 18:36:21 :INFO: Results of executing [source /opt/cisco/uccx/bin/uccx_ids.env ; ontape -v -s -L 0 -t STDIO > /common/drf/ccx_comps/uccx_db/ontape_uccx_backup.gz], returnCode :[256], Output :[Using the backup and restore filter /bin/gzip -c.
Archive failed - ISAM error: An error has occurred during archive back up.

The return code 256 from the IBM documentation, points to a DB without transaction logs:

-256	Transaction not available.

You cannot begin a transaction in this database because it does not
have a transaction log. In order to support transactions, you must
start a transaction log. Refer to your Administrator's Guide for
information on how to start a transaction log.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/informix-servers/12.10?topic=informix-error-messages

Below the documentation about the Update Statistics  process

mparrafusionet_0-1697324041282.png

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_12_5_1_su1/maintain_and_operate/guide/uccx_b_1251su1admin-and-operations-guide/uccx_b_12_5_2admin-and-operations-guide_chapter_011011.html

In older versions 10 it used to run daily at 2AM
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_10_6/maintain_and_operate/guide/UCCX_BK_UAC60444_00_uccx-operations-guide-106.pdf

mparrafusionet_1-1697324145649.png

Hope this helps all other engineers who run into this error.

thanks @Quintin.Mayo - fixed my issue as well - thanks for the detailed posted

Abid Ing
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much this helped me solve my issue.