cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881 doesn't support multicast under VoIP dial-peer- any alternative?

mmertens
Level 1
Level 1

My customer has a Hoot n Holler application on their entreprise that consists of 7936s plugged into fxs ports which PLAR to a VoIP dial-peer with "session protocol multicast" and that, of course, gets multicast around the enterprise.

So my challenge is that I have a new remote site with a C881 with universal code. It supports voice and multicast, but come to find out the hard way, there isn't a "session protocol" option for multicast. Cisco is saying that it multicast is not supported for dial-peers on the C881 yet but is road-mapped. My question: can anyone think of any alternatives- perhaps something to the effect of PLARing the fxs to an MTP that could multicast, or converting uni-cast to multi-cast, or anything?

I'm at a loss........and I'm stuck in Minneapolis because of it......

THANKS!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Have a look at the link below - it suggests that it is possible to use NAT to translate unicast to multicast

http://www.penrod.cc/?p=527

In your situation you could PLAR your FXS port to a VOIP dial peer on the 881 which has a unicast session target pointing a a router at the main site which can do the NAT conversion.

Let us know if works

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A single site? Use a router supports it.

hmm...u mentioned that u are using universal image on the 881.

Can u provide show license and show ver ?

I am suspecting that you are running adv. security feature-set,

while IP multicast features require adv. ip services license.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thank you very much for your low rating in response to what is obvious and what any professional would have done already.

But no, you did not research before going into production and now you want someone pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

Sorry if it's not me.

Paolo,

Quite honestly, I find your post most unprofessional and unhelpful. Yes,

And it's not pulling a rabbit out of a hat, its called engineering. Research was done: Support for voice, SRST, H323, 3DES, IPSEC, multicast, OSPF, GRE, VIFs technology was verified along with ensuring the platform had the required fxo, fxs and PoE interfaces and quanities. Multicast on the C881SRST is supported under physical interfaces, GRE tunnels, and VIFs. The fact that multicast is supported underall those interfaces but not under a dial-peer, I consider a booby-trap, not poor planning.

It is not called "pulling a rabbit out of a hat", it is called engineering. Perhaps next time you could try to be a little more helpful like my friend James here, rather than being so rude and unprofessional. Andrew offers up something; there's also the idea of peering the dial-peer to a router that does support multicast under its dial-peer.

I wish I had as much time on my hands at work to look for posts I can reply to unprofessionally and rudely.

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Have a look at the link below - it suggests that it is possible to use NAT to translate unicast to multicast

http://www.penrod.cc/?p=527

In your situation you could PLAR your FXS port to a VOIP dial peer on the 881 which has a unicast session target pointing a a router at the main site which can do the NAT conversion.

Let us know if works

James, I'll give it a shot. It will take me a couple days to get to trying it again, but certainly has potential. Thanks!