cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8851 phone not upgrading firmware

svadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I just ordered a new ip phone cisco 8851 and I am testing it to see if can replace the 7965 with these, but I already have a problem that it is not upgrading.  I made sure the active load is on all the servers in the cluster.

Can anyone help with this issue ?

Registration: Registered with Cisco Unified Communications Manager xx.xx.xx.xx
IPv4 Address: xx.xx.xx.xx
Active Load ID: sip88xx.12-0-1-11
Inactive Load ID: cert.os.mfg.drop
Download Status: Failed
Requested Load ID: sip88xx.10-3-1-20
Download Server: xx.xx.xx.xx
Inactive Load Failure Reason Internal Phone Error

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like a downgrade and not upgrade.

In cases where a new Devices have pre-loaded a newer firmware version, than the one that CUCM runs on, the CUCM requests the phone to downgrade but this is not supported.
You may need to set as a default firmware version on the CUCM, a newer version of firmware for this speficic phone.

G

please rate, if useful

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

View solution in original post

Hello svadmin,

If the 8851 phone came from factory with a firmware version 12, downgrading to firmware 10.3 might not be possible.

Some phone hardware revisions require certain minimum firmware versions. Minimum versions are usually found in a sticker at the back of the phone.

And why would you want to downgrade to 10.3 anyway? That's an old buggy version and you should ideally be running a version 12 firmware for all your 88XX phones.

Best Regards, Jaime.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you Restarted the TFTP Service on the CUCM Cluster?

You may check the following Procedure:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/213288-upgrade-ip-phone-firmware-individually.html

G
Please rate, if useful

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Yes I already tried that and still didn't work.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like a downgrade and not upgrade.

In cases where a new Devices have pre-loaded a newer firmware version, than the one that CUCM runs on, the CUCM requests the phone to downgrade but this is not supported.
You may need to set as a default firmware version on the CUCM, a newer version of firmware for this speficic phone.

G

please rate, if useful

Exactly. The hardware revision changes over the course of manufacturing as chips/component sources change. This requires a minimum software version - the one that it ships with - to support those hardware differences. You have to go newer, the latest release is 12.(1)SR1.

Hello svadmin,

If the 8851 phone came from factory with a firmware version 12, downgrading to firmware 10.3 might not be possible.

Some phone hardware revisions require certain minimum firmware versions. Minimum versions are usually found in a sticker at the back of the phone.

And why would you want to downgrade to 10.3 anyway? That's an old buggy version and you should ideally be running a version 12 firmware for all your 88XX phones.

Best Regards, Jaime.

What I am really trying to do is set up a phone for MRA.  I have Jabber working, but somehow the phones are not.  I found this document that guide through the process https://ciscocollab.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/collab-edge-mra-for-78008800dx-series-endpoints/

However it stated that I would need public root CA certificate, but I don't have that and not sure where to get it from, any idea if I do need that and how to get it?

H

The Expressway-E certificate must be signed by a public CA present in phone's built-in trust: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/dx/series/ca/CA-Trust-List.docx

Thank you Johnathan, for the information.   So I checked our expressway E and we do have the CA, so not sure why the MRA from the 8851 is not working.  any idea?