Views
Helpful
Replies

AVAYA IP Phones with Cisco Call Manager

Vlad Olteanu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have found some threads on this , but very vague. We use AVAYA phones throughout the company , but we are looking into changing AVAYA Cm with Cisco Cm .

Are they compatible, can the AVAYA phones work fine with Cisco CM ?

Does anyone have this kind of setup working?

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Vlad

21 Replies 21

Tapan Dutt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes avaya Phones work with CUCM.

They register as 3rd Party SIP phones. Go for CUCM: very flexible and loads of features...

Tapan

Hi Tapan,

I have also similar requirement coming up in future.

Is there any POC DOC or configuration document available with you which could help in smooth integration?

regds,

aman

Hi Tapan,

How did you get on integrating Avaya phones with the Cisco UC platform?  Any major pointers or pitfalls for others wishing to do the same thing?

We have a potential client wishing to retain the following phones, but migrate onto CSR 10.5 (CUCM 10.5):

• Avaya IP Deskphone 1616-I
  • Avaya IP Deskphone 9650C

Kind regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

could you please share some of the reference as we are migrating from cisco to Avaya phone

I am also trying a 9611 Avaya phone on CUCM 11.5 and noticing that it does not seem very stable as a basic third party SIP device. I see registrations drop out calls seem to drop sometimes randomly. I am on the latest Avaya firmware which is SIP 7.1.0.1 and I did expect this is pretty experimental.

Does anyone know if you can get directory services working?

Hi Michael, Can you explain the steps you took to get these registere din the 1st place? We have SIP loaded on some phones but they just wont register despite my guessing of the config required in the phone.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

So what I did was first update the phone to the latest SIP firmware:

1. Setup an HTTP server and ensure the phone points to it (under the Network settings)

2. Unzip the firmware file and place it on HTTP server and the 46xxsettings.txt file and ensure this is set so it upgrades on reset.
SET UPGRADE_POLICY 2

3. Ensure these are set in the 46xxsettings.txt so it can register to CUCM:
SET SIPPORT 5060
SET SIP_CONTROLLER_LIST CUCM_IP_ADDRESS:5060;transport=tcp
SET SIPPROXYSRVR "CUCM_IP_ADDRESS"
SET SIPSIGNAL 1
SET SNTPSRVR NTP_IP_ADDRESS
SET GMTOFFSET -5:00

4. Add a User in CUCM where username is the same as DN

5. Create basic third party SIP device and associate user and make sure MAC address is set correctly

5. Login to phone with the DN and password, it will now make calls

I am trying to see if Outlook can provide directory services, and then final thing would be voicemail button. So far I have calls working well but that is it.

Tell me how you go?

I am having no luck with the Outlook contacts integration.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

How did you setup your HTTP server? Is it Apache, IIS or others? And what files (e.g. 46xxsettings.txt, .bin, 46xxupdates.txt, etc.) at the root of HTTP server.

Did you setup TFTP and HTTPS servers? If yes, what files that need to be at the root of TFTP and HTTPS servers?

Thank you, TN

I have similar setup,

problem:

Cisco Phone cant able to reach  avaya phone, however avaya phone is able to make call to cisco phone.

Both  Avaya  and  Cisco IP phone registered to same call manager and DN partition is same for reachability.

while checking logs I only got, 408 request timeout in SIP messages.

Regards

Lalit Arora

hi 

did you find any solution for your problem , since i'm facing same .

please if you have any solution send me on my email if possible raed@bnb.com.sa 

appreciated 

Cisco to Avaya? Wow I am sorry

Tapan, I now this thread is a couple years old but i don't see a reply to Aman Soi request for dfocumentation, please provide any helpful hints.

Larry,

what are you after?  using the avaya phones and registering them as third party SIP devices on CUCM? or have a mix of avaya and CUCM?  with a SIP trunk between the two "PBX's"?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Larry,

First you need to check those Avaya phones model supports SIP or not. Many Avaya phones still don't support SIP (they are H.323 based). Even if they support SIP, you should cross verify thier implementation is as per RFC 3261 to be compatible with CUCM as third party SIP phone.

- Vivek