Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk Upgrade Phone Models

raymond00
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, All.

I am testing a bulk upgrade of 7960 phones to 7965 using TAPS on CUCM 8.6.x. The 7960 phones each have a primary DN assigned to them and are currently routable. Unfortunately BAT does not seem to be playing nice..

Method 1

I left TAPS at the default of searching dummy MAC addresses created by BAT. I exported the 7960 phone details, used the BAT template to create an import of the 7965 details, and I uploaded them via BAT and confirmed the BAT devices now showed. I plugged in a phone, which auto-registered with a TAPS extension. I dialed TAPS and entered the extension when prompted. I received a message stating, "I'm sorry there are duplicate entries for this number." Checking the logs I showed the following error, "Unable to fetch a unique record even with the external phone number mask and the dialed extension." i thought perhaps the 7960 device was causing conflict, so I deleted it. I retried TAPS and generated the same issue.

Method 2

I set the TAPS service parameter to use any MAC. I went into Serviceability and restarted Cisco TAPS. I plugged in a new 7965 and received an auto-registered number. I dialed TAPS. When prompted I attempted to enter the extension of my second 7960 phone. I received the exact same errors are method 1 even though there was only one SEP profile (7960) for the device.

Method 3

I was afraid there was an issue with TAPS, so I created a BAT with a new DN. Uploaded the BAT, took one of my 7965s and dialed the TAPS number. I entered the new DN and the profile was successfully applied.

Issue

It appears when attempting to configure new devices that have an active DN TAPS fails stating there are duplicate numbers.

I'm a bit lost at where to troubleshoot next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

5 Replies 5

Nishant Savalia
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Please refer below link for troubleshooting of TAPS regarding your error.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/customer-collaboration/unified-contact-center-express/116817-configure-product-00.html#anc9

Regards,
Nishant Savalia

Regards, Nishant Savalia

Hello, Nishant. Thank you for your quick reply.

I read the same document and specifically looked at issue 3.

Issue 3

After the DN is entered in a call to TAPS, the user receives this message: Unable to fetch a unique record even with the external phone number mask and the dialed extension.

Complete these steps in order to resolve the issue:

1. Search  the CUCM for the DN that must be configured (the DN that should display  on the phone after the configuration is complete). One entry of the  phone might appear in the UNKNOWN state.
  2. Ensure that the dummy MAC address begins with BAT (BAT112233445566, for example).

However, I have confirmed both pieces with no resolve. Under method 1 I confirmed the BAT device existed. I have also dobule-checked and confirmed the DN has one entry, under the expected partition. Thanks!

raymond00
Level 1
Level 1

Have I lost my marbles? I was under the impression TAPS could be  leveraged to bulk upgrade from one model phone to another. However,  after a call with Cisco TAC I was told TAPS isn't used when a DN already  exists. Now I know I've used TAPS to replace existing phones when  damaged, with existing DNs tied to them. Is there something I'm missing?  Is there a better way to bulk upgrade say 2,000 users from one model  phone to another without having to explicitally assign a MAC address?  That would be quite cumbersome to export all device details, and import  with explicit MACs per user. Imagine the inventory control!

Thanks as always for your continued help.

Hi Raymond,

You can use bulk tool and it will be easy for you if you are aware about or if you have any information about which old MAC Address will be replaced with New MAC address.

Then in bulk tool you can import file and put new mac-address against the existing dn.

Regards,

Nishant Savalia

Regards, Nishant Savalia

raymond00
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, All!

I have continued testing this in my lab and have come up with the following results.

1. When setting up a new device, TAPS will generate an error if the DN is already in existence across multiple devices.
  2. If replacing a device, you must use the same model device or else TAPS will generate an error.

Unfortunately, based on the above rules, I was unable to utilize TAPS for bulk upgrade of user devices from 7960 model phones to 7965 model phones. However, I have come up with an alternate solution.

Note: This solution would only need to be used in a scenario where you do not want to assign a MAC address before physically deploying the equipment. The below solution provides the flexibility of creating the phone configurations prior to deploying the equipment without having to have all hardware specifically assigned to a user/DN.

Bulk Update Cisco Phones without MAC Addresses

1. Bulk Admin > Phone > Export Phones > Specific Details (Pull relevant information, DN(s), Description, Owner User ID, CSS, so on…)
  2. Download the file, change to csv, open in Excel
  3. Clear contents of “Device Name” field. Parse through and update other fields if needed.
  4. Save a copy as CSV, upload to CUCM as Insert Phones > Specific Details
  5. In CUCM, create a Phone Template for import
  6. Bulk Admin > Phone > Insert Phones > Choose File > Choose Phone Template > **Important** Select Create Dummy MAC
  7. Run Job
  8. Once job is completed, all 7965 devices will be created with a BAT prefix and dummy MAC address, check Device > Phone to confirm

…When ready to activate

1. Device > Phone > Search by DN for BAT device
  2. Open device, change MAC address to new 7965 hardware, check “Is Active”
  3. Click Save.
  4. Plug-in 7965 device to network. When the phone comes online and gets past firmware it will pull newly generated SEP config with user ext.

I hope this helps. I appreciate the communities continued assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: