Caller ID shows as Unknown - until call is answered

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM 9.0.1.10000-37 on ESX5.5

2811 Gateway with VIC2-4FXO

IOS version Adv Enterprise 15.1(3) T1

MGCP is used between gateway and CUCM

The issue:  on one of the ports, Caller ID is not displayed on the phone until after the call is answered.  While ringing, the Caller ID displays Unknown number.

What I have checked:  debug voice ccapi inout shows that the caller ID is received by the gateway.  debug vpm signal also shows that the caller id is received.  When I pull the caller id hex codes from the VPM signal debug and run them through a converter, I get the correct caller ID information.

I put an analog phone with display directly on the line from the cable modem and tested.  Caller ID was displayed between the first and second rings.

I moved the entire configuration to an open voice port (changed the dial peer and configured the new gateway in CUCM).  Conducted another test.  Same results as original.  Call rings inbound.  Display on phone reads Unknown Number.  As soon as the call is answered, the display changes to reflect the correct caller ID.

Other information:  This is a 4 port card.  3 ports are active an in use.  All 3 ports are configured identically, except for the connection plar opx command.  Using the same cell phone, if I call into the other FXO ports, caller ID is displayed on the phones as expected (while the call is still in the ringing state).

All 3 phone lines are being sourced from the same provider.

Any ideas?

(Yes, I know that I can change to H323, but that is not what I want to do....I want to make this work as it should)

Jeff

13 Replies 13

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jeff,

Can you please post the show run from GW?

Br,

Nadeem Ahmed

PS: Please rate all useful post.

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

Stripped version of config is attached.  Note that voice-port 0/0/0 was the original port in use.  I then moved the same DN to port 0/0/3 to execute the test.  Dial-peer 6078350405 reflects the move and test

Jeff

Update

Some additional testing and troubleshooting.

Older phones (7960s) work fine with the caller id on incoming calls on the line.

The phones that do not work are 7970s

I thought perhaps that it might be a firmware issue. I just upgraded the firmware with no changes.

Having the exact same problem with 10.5.2 with a 2921 running Version 15.5(3)M.

Any update on it?

Have not tried another phone yet.  Thanks for post.

Just upgraded to lastest ios no delta. I did see when I rebooted the router once that the proper information was seen plus a transfer from unknown field.  I wondering since the FXO is doing a plar is something isn't goofy.  I have tried multiple phone types so I don't think that is the issue.

Now for whatever reason with no changes made to the router other than a reload, I am consistently getting the correct caller id however the call still shows as a transfer.

Hope this hopes someone else.

No changes were made to voice port.

The plot thickens. At least for me.  I have the DN assigned as shared line on two 8961 phones  same firmware version.  One phone the caller id shows transfer all the time from the FXO mgcp port.  The other shows only unknown until the call is established.  I am assuming this is no longer an FXO port issue but more of a sip shared line signaling issue.

Active Load ID: sip8961.9-4-2-13
Inactive Load ID: sip8961.9-4-1-9
!
Active Load ID: sip8961.9-4-2-13
Inactive Load ID: sip8961.9-4-1-9
!

Are you using sccp on both those 7970s or SIP?

Greg - for me, all phones are SCCP registered to the same CUCM

Is it a shared line?

Yes, it is.  Shared line between two 7970s and several 7960s

I was able to open a TAC case on my issue I will try to keep you updated on what they find for my case... It may not be related.  If it isn't sorry to bump your thread.

no problem.  Hopefully you will get an answer

3-4 hours into a TAC case later.  My problem appears to be that CUCM is not sending SIP update messages to the phone with the remote party id which would contain the Caller ID.  I am pretty sure this is a bug and they will be opening a bug ID on it.  However since your deployment is SCCP? Still not sure it is related but sounds to close for comfort.  I will keep you updated maybe it is not a SIP signaling issue but CUCM not being programmed to send the signaling at all for the shared line.

Hope this helps you, will continue to update once I have the final answer or bug ID.

Just got my bug ID yesterday.  CSCuy91623 

Looks like they are coming out with a patch in about 3 weeks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: