cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I see the last time a phone registered?

mmillington_nal
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to clean up some phones that are still configured and using licenses, but are no longer in use. Is there any way I can see the last time a phone registered with a UCM server? I'm running version 7.0.2

TIA,

Matt      

22 Replies 22

You're right Bill.  The RIS service parameters show that there is a "RIS Cleanup Time of the Day" default to run at 22:00.  "This parameter specifies the time of the day that the RIS database will  be cleaned up to remove any unused, old device information. During this  time, the NumofRegistrationAttempts performance counters for all devices  reset to 0."

The risdb method won't do what you want Matt.

So, it sounds like there's nothing stored historically for a device that would give us the last time it registered?

Unless it's still registered.

OK, well thanks guys for the help. Looks like it will be a manual process going through our device list and looking for the Unknown phones.

Not to beat a dead horse, but it seems that I have come up with a workaround without realizing there was a problem.  I didn't know about the RIS cleanup setting that Joe and Bill discussed earlier.  But as luck would have it, what I setup doesn't rely on that - quite by accident.

Here's what I've setup:

1) Grab a list of all devices from sql

2) Feed them to the RIS API

3) Log all to db (this is done nightly).  Since no data is returned for the unregistered devices which RIS has discarded the data for, I mark those as unknown status.

4) Then any unknown devices which go 2 weeks without an updated status get marked for removal (manual - I don't automate deletions).

I can't share the code for that since it doesn't belong to me any longer, but you can do the same thing even though it's a manual process.  If you're good with excel, you can export all phones, pull the risdb query which Joe listed above for  each server and get it into excel, then do some v/hlookup magic.  It's not too horrible of a process.

Hi William

Maybe 3 years too late but, yes you are right: The Cisco RIS Data Collector Service Parameters have an entry for  "RIS Unused Cisco Call Manager Device Store Period which is set at 3 days but can be up to 30 days.

Rich

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Matt,

Excellent thread here! I've added my +5 for all involved for this

great info and for you for starting the whole thing

One quick note....be sure to take a copy of the Route Plan report

.csv before deleting the phones. I've had a few instances where the

phone had been locked in the desk for months and then the user returns

and re-connects it. This will hopefully save you a visit

Cheers!

Rob

"Far away from your trouble and worry
You belong somewhere you feel free" - Tom Petty

Rob,

Great thought. That's why I started exploring how to find out how long they'd been dead to hopefully alleviate most, if not all, of those scenarios.

Thanks again to everyone!!

-Matt