cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Click to Call on Office 2010 64-bit

agonza07
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone gotten the Cisco Click to Call version 8 to work on Windows 7 x64 with Office 2010 64-bit?

I keep getting an issue in which the COM add-in does not start. I get error code "runtime error occurred"

Thanks.

17 Replies 17

Yeah, i've seen this doc as well.  I was just hoping they would get up to speed with the 64-bit app so my customer base would stop hounding me.

Thanks for the reply.

I suggest you point all of your customers toward their Cisco AMs to request it. The AM can attach customers to the enhancement request which should add pressure to the BU.

HTH

Microsoft recommend installing Office 2010 32-Bit on Windows 64-Bit

I'm not sure Cisco will ever release a 64-bit version. The same goes for most other vendors.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

The recommendations for which edition of Office 2010 to install are as follows:

• If users in your organization depend on existing extensions to  Office, such as ActiveX controls, third-party add-ins, in-house  solutions built on previous versions of Office, or 32-bit versions of  programs that interface directly with Office, we recommend that you  install 32-bit Office 2010 (the default installation) on computers that  are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems.

• If some users in your organization are Excel expert users who  work with Excel spreadsheets that are larger than 2 gigabytes (GB), they  can install the 64-bit edition of Office 2010. In addition, if you have  in-house solution developers, we recommend that those developers have  access to the 64-bit edition of Office 2010 so that they can test and  update your in-house solutions on the 64-bit edition of Office 2010.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-microsoft-office-HA010369476.aspx

By default, Microsoft Office 2010 installs the 32-bit version of  Office 2010 even if your computer is running 64-bit editions of Windows.

Important    The 32-bit version of Office  2010 is the recommended option for most people, because it prevents  potential compatibility issues with other 32-bit applications,  specifically third-party add-ins that are available only for 32-bit  operating systems.

What is in the 32-bit version of Office but is not included in the 64-bit version of Office?

• ActiveX controls library, ComCtl    This  library contains ActiveX controls that are used to build solutions. It  is most commonly used in the following Microsoft Office programs:  Access, Excel, and Word.
  • SharePoint List control    The list view in SharePoint Technology is not available to people using the 64-bit version of Office.

Compatibility with existing Office files and solutions

Note    The 64-bit version of Office 2010 is  not compatible with any other 32-bit version of Office programs. As a  result, you must first uninstall all 32-bit versions of Office programs  before you install the 64-bit version of Office 2010. The Office 2010  disc includes both 32- and 64-bit versions of Office 2010. To install  64-bit Office 2010, you must run Setup.exe from the x64 folder. For more  information, see Install the 64-bit version of Office.

• ActiveX controls library, ComCtl    Any solutions that use these controls do not work. No good alternatives are available for some of these controls.
  • Third-party ActiveX controls and add-ins    None of these work with the 64-bit version of Office.

Note   There is no 64-bit version of Visual Basic 6. As a result, many of these objects need to be ported and rewritten.

• Visual Basic for Applications    The only  way that Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) that contains  the Declare statement work in the 64-bit version of Office is if you  update the code manually.
  • Compiled Access databases    The .MDE and  .ACCDE files, a common way for Access application developers to  distribute solutions and protect their intellectually property, do not  work in the 64-bit version of Office. You must contact the application  vendor to have the vendor recompile, retest, and redistribute the  solution in the 64-bit version.
  • Communicator integration    If you  install the 64-bit version of Office, certain Microsoft Office  Communicator 2007 features that involve integration with Outlook are  lost. For example, you cannot right-click a Communicator contact to  schedule a meeting, send an e-mail message, or find previous  conversations. This is because Office Communicator R2 is 32-bit, and  Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) calls do not cross  the 32-/64-bit boundary.

Additionally, certain Microsoft Outlook 2010  features are unavailable with Communicator R2. For more information  about these Outlook features and the hotfix that addresses them, see the  following Knowledge Base article: